Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Greatest Achievement in WSOP History

The following appears in the spiel for Harrington On Hold'em on the title page of this web site:

"he [Dan Harrington] was the only player to make it to the final table in 2003 (field of 839) and 2004 (field of 2576) - considered by cognoscenti to be the greatest accomplishment in WSOP history."

I think not. I am sure even Harrington does not think that. Who thinks this? Mason? David? Let the cognoscenti identify themselves.

Have you been seduced by the bloated fields? It is probably minimally more difficult to win a 2000+ tournament than a 1000+ tournament but you never play all the field simultaneously. This is not the greatest achievement in WSOP history.

The greatest achievement in WSOP history was either a drug ravaged Stu Ungar winning his third title or Johnny Chan winning 88, 89 and coming second in 90.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:51 PM

Default Re: Greatest Achievement in WSOP History

Nothing comes close to Johnny Chan's back-to-back-to-second finishes in 87, 88, and 89. He showed awesome finishing skills.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:05 PM

I think many accomplishments are note-worthy, but I agree...
Mr. Chan's play 3 straight years is second-to-none.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:47 PM

Norman Chad, one of the announcers on the WSOP, stated the proclaimation. Not sure he qualifies as cognoscenti, but its marketing-esque comment, so one would expect a bit of exaggeration.
Old 11-09-2004, 02:32 AM

I actually did a poll on this subject on this very site, and even though I cant eem to find it now, I'm pretty sure it was #1 Chan's 1,1,2; #2 Harrington's back to back final tables, along with Winning once, and being the only person in the modern WSOP era to win 2 bracelets in one year while winning the main event; And #3, me winning 7 consecutive $200 sit and go's,(seriously!)