Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2004, 03:32 AM

Default close call or not?

this hand came up in a sattelite to the bellagio $25,000 event. we were down to 3 of us, and I was the short stack at 26,000. blinds 1000-2000.

I had KJo on the button, and made it 8000 hoping to take the blinds and antes, but the sb came over the top to put me all in.

I called, thinking that this would likely be the best hand I would see before being blinded off. but of course, if was very unlikely that he was raising with a worse hand than mine.

should I have put in all my chips or waited and hoped to get another playable hand? if it makes a difference, first place got the seat and 2nd and 3rd received almost nothing.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:41 AM

Default Re: close call or not?

At a point in a tourney when you're in Push or Fold, if you're willing to call an All in raise, then just push all in instead of raising a moderate amount. Clearly, you're not willing to call an All in raise. Therefore, you probably should have folded the first time.

Whether or not you should be in Push or Fold mode is another matter. What are the stack sizes of the other players?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:55 AM

I think you have to call here (unless the reraiser was playing too tight). However, I don't like the raise to 8k in this situation. In my opinion you should raise 6K with most hands here. I also think something like 10k is better than 8k here as it makes it much more clear to the BB that you will not be folding, and he might lay down some marginal hands that you dont really want to be playing against, but that he might push with if he though you might lay down.

Anyway, you quite obviously know what your doing, you are snakehead afterall, but thats my two cents.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:13 AM

I think you're pot stuck. KJ isn't exactly the nuts but there are many hands against which you are not a huge dog.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:20 AM

You have to raise with KJ 3-handed and you have to call the reraise. Short stacked, you would be better just open pushing.