Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Suits or Colors
Ordering more of the chip I like the most or based on colors. 7 53.85%
Ordering based on suits for denominations. 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2004, 03:53 PM

Default omg what is goin on

This is my first post so bear with me.
Is it possible to have a losing streak that just lasts for multiple days? i usually only play low limits like .50/1 .
I have read sklansky's book on small stakes holdem. In this book it specifically lists the cards you should play in certain positions. Now I find myself maybe playing only 7-10 hands an hour in a 9 handed game. And the ones that i do play I either get drawn out on or miss the flop completely. And i try to protect my hand by raises and check raises, but to no avail, i guess because it is low limit. The times when i have an unbeatable hand which just happened as i was typing ( 4 of a kind 9's) they will fold before i can make any money from them. This is what just happend.

everyone folds except me and one other guy in a NINE HANDED GAME preflop

i have [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 and am in small blind. i raise preflop after everyone else has folded bb calls
flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Jack [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
i check and he checks
turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i bet he folds..........

now im assuming that by following the recommendations of preflop play that by playing in so few hands that they are afraid to play against me cause they know i wont go in without an above avg holding, and the fact i am getting them so infrequently. I know you have all been on tilt before and i was just wondering what the longest tilt that you ever had was. Because i have had it for like 2-3 days now where im either losing or breaking even because i keep getting frozen waves of cards like 2-7 os.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: omg what is goin on

take a deep breath, re-read the book, and try again.
Old 11-07-2004, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to have a losing streak that just lasts for multiple days?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not at all uncommon for winning players to have streaks like this for many weeks. For brick and mortor players I'm sure it would be reasonable to have a downswing lasting several months. Poker is gambling, and large swings are inherent in all successful forms of gambling. If you want to play winning poker in the long term, get used to losing.

[ QUOTE ]
I know you have all been on tilt before and i was just wondering what the longest tilt that you ever had was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am assuming from the context you used the term "tilt" that it meant downswing. Normally poker players use the word tilt to describe playing worse than normal due to emotional stress. Real tilt is a dangerous thing for a winning player, wheras downswings are merely part of the game.

Reread the book and make sure you are playing correctly. The miro forum is a great resource to post and discuss strategy. Go there and post hand you are uncertain about, and give the responses a lot of thought.

And most of all, welcome to the forums. If you work hard at studying the game and keep posting here, you will find this post very humorous in a few months.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have read sklansky's book on small stakes holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's good. You sound like a prospective customer for Ed Miller's next book. He says:

[ QUOTE ]
I also plan to spend significant time discussing the psychology of running good/bad to hopefully prepare new players a little for the shock of streakiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing poker can be a little like putting your finger in an electric socket without knowing if the power is on or off....

Welcome to the forum. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2004, 06:02 PM

Since no one else seems to have mentioned it yet...

work on table selection. If it's getting folded around to the SB you need to find a new table.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:37 PM

work on table selection. If it's getting folded around to the SB you need to find a new table.

[/ QUOTE ]

the thing was that the flop percentage was like 80% I always try to pick games where there is more people seein the flop. It just so happens that that particular hand everyone decided to fold on just happened to be a good one for me. Thanks for the replies by the way