Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Insert Catchy Title Here

Hey all,

Maybe this one will be better-received than my posts from earlier in the week... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

5/10 online. I've been at the table for maybe 15 minutes or so; no real action yet. EP ($1200; raises frequently preflop) makes it $30 to go. MP ($3100) calls the $30. He is a very good player: not too tight, not too loose, and aggressive, but not maniacal. Folded to me in SB, and I ($1000) call with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. 3 to the flop, $100 in the pot:

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I check, EP checks, MP bets $80, I call, EP folds. $260 in the pot; turn comes:

Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, MP bets $240, I call. $740 in the pot; river comes:

2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I think for 10 seconds and check, MP thinks for 5 before moving all-in, putting me all-in for $700 or so. I call.

All comments greatly appreciated.

ML4L
Old 11-05-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Insert Catchy Title Here

I...umm..ahhh...yeah.

ill refer this to some real NL players. strange hand.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:57 PM

well, I guess when he fires barrel #3, if he's actually got a made hand, there's nothing you beat that he's value betting right there (you said he's a very good player)...though maybe he'd value bet a little less amount?.....maybe not though, maybe he thinks you'll make a crying call (you only have the $700 left) with whatever decent set-type hand you have and you're folding any kind of missed draw anyway.....on the other hand, if he had the nuts, would he want to bet a little less on the river to induce a call from something worse? (but you did seem intent on calling him all the way so I don't know).....hopefully he showed you his lone A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]....
Old 11-05-2004, 04:58 PM

Bet the turn. Fold to a raise.
Old 11-05-2004, 06:32 PM

Why no bet on the turn?
Old 11-05-2004, 06:38 PM

two things, first, bet the turn and pray there is no improvement to the board, and second, he might be on a bluff putting you on the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]... You weren't aggressive with bottom trips(understandably so...)so he probably is just reading you for the lone heart. He might have a weak middle pair, top pair no kicker or a small two pair that he would just as soon have you fold to. Could also be a stone bluff... I think you have to call here.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:56 AM

Mike,

Why didn't you check-raise the flop?

-Young Grasshopper
Old 11-06-2004, 12:03 PM

Tough spot, but I dont see how a river bet that large from a thinking player could be anything but the nut flush or a bluff. If he flopped a smallish flush I dont think hes gonna bet this much on the river because he would risk pushing you out if you had a hand like AJ or AQ with the A of hearts. Its possible HE is on a hand like AJ, AQ or AK with the ace of hearts, and is just putting a monster bet on the river knowing you cant have the nut flush. If you think this guy is crafty enough to consider a big river bluff I think you have to call here.
Old 11-06-2004, 01:07 PM

It seems unlikely that he has the nut flush or is bluffing outright. If he was hoping you had the A of trump i would think he would risk less as it would have the same effect. If he had the bare A he might bet this big wanting any leverage he could get towards a fold. Would be a gutsy value bet with a bigger set ut i think that is the most likely. Anyways its a tough hand to get away from but cold calls often are pairs and my guess that he flopped a bigger set on you with a possibility of QQ with Q of hearts.
matty
Old 11-06-2004, 09:27 PM

Its possible HE is on a hand like AJ, AQ or AK with the ace of hearts, and is just putting a monster bet on the river knowing you cant have the nut flush

A thinking player, or any player for that matter, knows that the stacks arent near deep enough to pull off moves like that, they rarely ever are.