Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 03:22 AM

Default Why not move to Canada pros?????

I am curious why some of the full-time pro poker players don't move to Canada to save all that money on taxes. Any of you consider it? Why or why not?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:24 AM

Default Re: Why not move to Canada pros?????

I'm not a full time pro, but I do know that Canada sucks. That might have something to do with it.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:29 AM

Evan - what box do you live in? Take a look out your window or maybe turn on your radio!
Old 11-05-2004, 03:33 AM

Let's say I opened said window or turned on said radio, might there be some sort of promotional material for Canada?
Old 11-05-2004, 03:34 AM

I agree. Canada sucks.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:38 AM

Um... yeah. That's like saying why not drink Old Milwaukie if it's cheaper then Heineken.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:54 AM

"Um... yeah. That's like saying why not drink Old Milwaukie if it's cheaper then Heineken."

No references to beer until the house arrest for the DUI is over. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 03:56 AM

I'd do it in a second if I ever got my sh** together enough to make the move.

Two things special to my case, though. First is that I live in what I consider a crummy-arse place -- Los Angeles. There aren't many places I've seen that <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>don't</pre><hr /> look better to me, but plenty of people live in nice places, or have families and don't want to make their kids change schools, don't want to have their wife forced to leave her job and career, etc. Once you're locked in with a family and a mortgage, it's pretty hard to change your life, and almost nobody does. Heck, most people don't move much period, even if they're born and raised in hell holes.

Second, with our screwball tax system, Americans still have to pay taxes no matter where they live. They can supposedly skip the first 80k of federal taxex, and skip state taxes entirely, if they're out of the country, but after that, they still have to pay.

For some it wouldn't be worth it to totally turn their life upside down just to save being taxed on the first 80k of their income.

For people with no responsibility, and for whom that kind of money isn't trivial, I think moving somewhere and experiencing the world a little bit sounds like a great idea. A lot of times you never know how narrow your world is and how many cool things there are to see and do until you step outside of what you're used to. But most of us are creatures of habit, not adventurers. Oh, maybe within our own suburbs or something. We might try a new burger promotion when Burger King starts advertising one on t.v.

It's something I'll seriously consider myself, though. The world is full of interesting places, and the internet is everywhere. And the tax savings to me would be very significant.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Um... yeah. That's like saying why not drink Old Milwaukie if it's cheaper then Heineken."

No references to beer until the house arrest for the DUI is over. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yarr... i was hoping to fly under the radar on that one...
Old 11-05-2004, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am curious why some of the full-time pro poker players don't move to Canada to save all that money on taxes. Any of you consider it? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because there's more to life than money.

No one wants to live in an arctic void if they don't
have too.

Why not move to Costa Rica instead? They have poker
rooms as well.