Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Since I\'m getting torn a new one in Psychology, the hand in question

I posted about how I feel when I play and when I review my results for how I've played to date, and at the end of the post, I posted a hand from last night. Much to my surprise, I have had people telling me I played this poorly. Take a look at the hand and tell me what I did wrong (note: I still disagree with the criticism until someone can specifically tell me why it was wrong)

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button raises, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 players)
SB checks, BB bets, UTG+1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero raises, Button 3-bets, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero caps, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (16 BB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (21 BB) 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets, Hero raises, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 26 BB
Old 11-04-2004, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Since I\'m getting torn a new one in Psychology, the hand in question

Only issues I have are, PF touch loose call in MP but if table has been loose passive fine.

River I would probably just call rather than raise go for over calls and dont let the BB 3 bet if he now has a full house.

Dont think its worth tearing you a new one imho.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Since I\'m getting torn a new one in Psychology, the hand in question

First of all, you should have never been in the hand to begin with. That is a loose loose call that will lose you money if you make it on a regular basis. Postflop, a call to the 3-bet would have been a better play. When you cap, you are encouraging players to check the future streets, which make you more money. Nobody with 2 clubs or a set is going to fold here. A call on the flop will let you raise the future streets when you are bet into, and make more money.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:33 PM

fold preflop

why?
cuz this hand is probably only profitable from the button
Old 11-04-2004, 06:39 PM

68s from mp.....fold
Old 11-04-2004, 06:48 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, you should have never been in the hand to begin with. That is a loose loose call that will lose you money if you make it on a regular basis

[/ QUOTE ]

On a loose passive table the call is marginal.

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop, a call to the 3-bet would have been a better play. When you cap, you are encouraging players to check the future streets, which make you more money. Nobody with 2 clubs or a set is going to fold here. A call on the flop will let you raise the future streets when you are bet into, and make more money

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with this a bit more if the player who 3 bets isn't someone who is behind him who is more likely to check behind him on the turn. This is a clear cap on the flop.

b
Old 11-04-2004, 07:03 PM

86s is a weak one gapper its only worth playing with maybe 5-6 limpers if you have the button.

On the flop I think the cap is good, button could easily have a flush draw (dont risk the turn checkraise he'll likely check it through).

On the river you want overcalls here, a boat is a possibility with so many people still in the pot. You arent folding this hand and a lot of people will probably call for 1 bet but not 2. If you lose you save that extra bet, if you win you will probably win the same.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River I would probably just call rather than raise go for over calls and dont let the BB 3 bet if he now has a full house.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is valid...
although raising here and getting one cold-call makes up for missing the potential overcalls (which you may or may not get anyway).
i'm modestly concerned with the 3-bet too of course....so if I do raise here I'm just keeping my fingers-crossed that there is no FH.
But I think raising this river still has value.

I easily much this PF too btw unless the table has been a non-stop limp-fest, in which case I guess it's marginally acceptable (but I still probably wouldn't do it).
Old 11-04-2004, 07:45 PM

preflop it's a pretty so-so hand, although no call preflop is ever really that bad......I would play this at a loose passive game, where there were 6-7 players to the flop with not too many raises.....

Cap the flop everytime......The theory of just calling the 3-bet so you can raise isn't correct, because if the flush comes on the turn, you have to just call down....Also, players are less likely to call raises on the turn and river, so get the bets in right now.....

On the river I'd just call....pretty big pot, and you'd kick yourself if the BB 3-bets.....
Old 11-04-2004, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Since I\'m getting torn a new one in Psychology, the hand in questi

Preflop is fine if it's loose passive. I will play that hand in that position live any day, the limp fests and flop check fests make it a playable hand.

Other table textures, muck this preflop.