Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 01:28 PM

Default Legalization of Drugs

OK, Heres my opinion on the whole subject since it came up in one of my previous posts. I don't see how a reasonable human being could ever argue FOR the legalization of drugs and heres why:

"Drugs should be legalized to get rid of the illegal drug-market."

Ok, so when you legalize drugs do you legalize ALL drugs of ALL degrees of potency? What about a drug so potent it kills a high rate of users? Do you make drugs that will drive people insane causing them to commit haneous crimes?
Obviously you can't, so by legalizing only some of the drugs...the illegal drug-market is still there. Now if you legalize ALL drugs NO MATTER WHAT, society will be a mess (I will elaborate further in the post).

"Drugs should be legalized because drug use will decline."

Wrong! Crack, Cocaine, Heroine & others are some of the most addictive substances known to man. So you are saying that the more people use these addictive substances the less they will actually like them? Thats a paradox...
Thats like saying If we legalized bank robbery, bank robberies would decline. If it was legal i'd go hold up a bank and get my 500,000 right now. Thinking about a 10-30 year jail term everytime you get a fix of heroine is a big deterrent, imagine if people didn't have that deterrent. It's like the ultimate quit smoking patch. I think argueing that drug use would decline here is futile, any intelligent person knows that drug use would increase.

"Drugs should be legalized to minimize crime."

Wow, a favorite. So drugs should be legalized to minimize crime...right? Wrong! See my first argument as to why the "illegal drug-market" will always exist. Yes there will be illegal drug crime, but a DRASTIC increase in domestic and civil crime. Did your parents raise you while they were fixed on Heroine? Did your parents raise you while they were tripping on acid? Imagine husbands beating, hurting their families. Wives neglecting to take care of their children. Neighbors getting high and pissing on your window. Imagine your city mayor getting high and running through the street naked. Imagine your doctor getting high while performing surgery. Imagine your kids babysitter getting [censored] up on crack while shes taking care of your kids. You have to be an idiot to think society would be BETTER with legalized drugs. No reasonable human beind would say otherwise, especially those with kids.

"Drugs should be legalized because our prisons are overcrowded."
Build more prisons. Look at the positive side, prisons create jobs. That is like saying, damn our prisons are overcrowded lets release the rapists...
When you are getting [censored] up on whatever you CAN hurt other people... I mean such a simple drug as alchohol (which i hope they never ban) can kill entire families.

"Drugs only hurt the people who use them."

This is a load of [censored]. If you OD, you are straining the hospitals. If you die, you are hurting your family. If your a parent your are hurting your kids. If you are a boss you are hurting your business. People are so selfish they don't see their actions AFFECT other people.

"Drugs should be legalized because they are fun."

If you can't have fun without getting high 37 times a day then you have a sad life.

(If you know another "drugs should be legalized because..." include it so i can refute that also).
Old 11-04-2004, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Legalization of Drugs

Could you just try to consolidate all your opinions into a couple of posts? There's really not a need for a new thread every few minutes.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:31 PM

I have two active posts. I thought this one was deserving of its own thread, unlike stupid [censored] like -- Arafat dies: N/M when there are already 5 Arafat has died posts.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:33 PM

Great another idiot that believe spersonal freedom/responsibility is wrong. Not even worth arguing with this tripe.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:34 PM

I count 49 separate threads.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:44 PM

everything you said was completely absurd.

[ QUOTE ]
"Drugs should be legalized because our prisons are overcrowded."
Build more prisons. Look at the positive side, prisons create jobs. That is like saying, damn our prisons are overcrowded lets release the rapists...

[/ QUOTE ] There is a reason prisons are overcrowed, its because they are full of non-violent drug offenders. Yup, thats right, there are more people in jail for drug offensives than for anything else, and you know who pays for all of this? We do. It costs way more for us to encarcerate someone than it does to send them to treatment. Also, it is apparent you are completely unaware of the mandatory minimums associated with drug crimes. These laws put a pot dealer away longer than a rapist(yes its true!! go look it up!).

Everything else in your post is complete garbage because you seem to insinuate that 1. there are a crap load of people that do drugs and 2. that every drug user is a degenerate. You have very little perspective, and speak like a true young republican.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:44 PM

"Ok, so when you legalize drugs do you legalize ALL drugs of ALL degrees of potency? What about a drug so potent it kills a high rate of users? Do you make drugs that will drive people insane causing them to commit haneous crimes?
Obviously you can't, so by legalizing only some of the drugs...the illegal drug-market is still there. Now if you legalize ALL drugs NO MATTER WHAT, society will be a mess (I will elaborate further in the post)."

No one said that all drugs of all potencies should be legal. If you wnat to kill yourslef you can easily drink some lighter fluid or something that has the potency to kill. Having a drug that lethal isn't going to make an easier oppurtinty for you to do so. Like i said before, you only allow drugs that do not infringe on the rights of other people as far as we can interpret. This includes drugs taht allow you to make concsious decision on when you use them, unlike the legal substance known as tabbacco which is more addicting than heroin. If drugs were legal, than the potencies could be controlled, it is only in the illegal market where the potencies run wild!
Also, no one said legalzing some drugs will kill the whole illegal market, they simply said that it will hurt the market as a whole. If you take away a multibillion dollar industry like marijuana from a mafia coproation, the entire coporation is affected, not just the marijuan divison. Drugs should be legal under the correct circumstances, you are just assuming the worst possible circumstances rather than attacking the problem like society attacks everything else by trying to find a system which can offer the best consequential benefit.

"Wrong! Crack, Cocaine, Heroine & others are some of the most addictive substances known to man. So you are saying that the more people use these addictive substances the less they will actually like them? Thats a paradox... "

If drugs were legal more testing would be done and like many drugs that are now legal, in their testing stages they posed many problems that wer later fixed. Likewise, illegal drugs can potentially be medically treated to be not as a harmful or addictive. You'll also find a lot of psychological reports detailing that drug users often start using drugs at teenage years as a form of reblellion, legal substances just aren't as rebellious!

"Imagine husbands beating, hurting their families. Wives neglecting to take care of their children. Neighbors getting high and pissing on your window."

uh...... alcohol????

W00lygimp, i also wrote some stuff in the christian post you had up regarding drugs if you're interested. I'd like to write me here, but i have to go for now..
Old 11-04-2004, 01:46 PM

I think you're wrong on alot of points.

As for legalizing drugs to eliminate the illegal drug market, I don't agree with that, because some drugs - heroin, crack, coke - are truly bad for you and should be regulated. However, in your whole post, you don't touch on marijuana. Marijuana is fairly safe and there is no way, under any circumstances, someone should ever go to prison for possession of marijuana. I have know many people who smoke, many people my age in college, a few adults, and it would be ridicolous for them ever to go to prison for it.

[ QUOTE ]
Thinking about a 10-30 year jail term everytime you get a fix of heroine is a big deterrent, imagine if people didn't have that deterrent. It's like the ultimate quit smoking patch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's funny. I know people who have done cocaine. Getting caught with cocaine could be the same punishment. You think, whenever they have been ready to snort a line, they EVER thought about "this could send me to jail!." No, they didn't care. That doesn't stop anyone. I know people who sell cocaine, and they don't think about the jail time. These are all college kids, not some junkies.

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine husbands beating, hurting their families. Wives neglecting to take care of their children. Neighbors getting high and pissing on your window. Imagine your city mayor getting high and running through the street naked. Imagine your doctor getting high while performing surgery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Little extreme dude. I don't think you realize how many people use drugs already. I'm not saying it's rampant, but drug use is there. Legalizing drugs won't make the apocalypse happen.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Build more prisons? You know how much it costs to build and run a prison? It cost tens of thousands of dollars per prisoner! Do we really want someone in there because they sold two pounds of marijuana? Even coke, heroin!? Selling these drugs is not worth the sentences they warrant. Face it, people go to prison LONGER for MARIJUANA than RAPE!

I'm not saying drugs should be legalized. There are reasons why they are illegal. However, drug users or sellers should not be in jail longer than people who rape or people who assault. And marijuana isn't really a drug. It should be legal.

Some pot might even chill you out. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 01:47 PM

i have never known of anyone who was deterred from taking drugs because it was against the law.

think about this: how many inner city kids go the way of selling illegal drugs because a regular job does not pay nearly as much? if you legalize the drugs...yes, all of them;

a) you won't have any MORE of a drug problem as you have now (but no less of course)

b) you can more closely regulate the drug imports and the availability of drugs to our citizens.

c) you increase your tax base.

d) you decrease the cost and workload of border patrol, DEA, etc...

e) yes, whether you want to deny it or not, crime will show an IMMEDIATE and long lasting decline. less murder, robbery, burglary, gang activity in general.

f) you can more easily treat abusers because using will not be so stigmatixed, therefore loved ones will simply know more often when one is abusing...same as alcohol.

cheers!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No one said that all drugs of all potencies should be legal. Like i said before, you only allow drugs that do not infringe on the rights of other people as far as we can interpret.

[/ QUOTE ] I'll say it. Legalize them all. You don't ban cars because they kill people. You ban the reckless/"violent" behavior. If people commit violence under the influence, then you prosecute them for that behavior, but you don't make the drug itself illegal.