Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 04:37 AM

Default 25-50 NL calling station.

Average stack about 5000. Villian is extremely aggro.

Hero is UTG with red aces.
Hero raises to 200. folded to villian on button who raises to 500. both blinds fold, hero calls.

Flop comes K 8 2 rainbow
check, villian bets 500, call.

turn is a J
check, villian bets 1000, call.

river is a Q
check, villian bets 1000, call.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:27 AM

Default Re: 25-50 NL calling station.

imo reraise pre or push flop
Old 11-04-2004, 09:32 AM

If villian is so aggressive, why not capatilize on table images by reraising preflop? If he raised to $800 or 1k I'd be more inclined to slow play but I don't like letting him minraise in position.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:00 PM

What do you make of 3 underbets in a row, from an "extremely aggressive" player? These limits are well above what I play, but I would read that as wanting to be called. Your flop call with that board should have scared him if he was bluffing, no?
Old 11-04-2004, 01:33 PM

This is above my limit, but I don't see where you played the hand correctly in any way. Raise preflop and check raise if you want to get cute, but why check call all the way. If you lose then you got what you deserve. I just don't see any logic to check/calling with AA. Maybe explain a little deeper what your line was.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:31 PM

Your details are slim, but it seems that you are putting villian on KK here. However, IMO, the preflop min raise doenst smell like KK. If I had KK in that spot I think I would want to protect it a little more then a raise to only 500 would do.

That said I think you needed to reraise preflop, to maybe 1K.

The flat bet of 1000 on the turn and river does seem like it wants a call. The turn bet could also seem like he wanted the river checked to him so he could check behind.

You didnt give us much info on villian, but Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that he had either the other aces and was getting more afraid of the board on each st(thinking that perhaps YOU had KK, JJ, QQ, or even something like KQs), or had QQ for a rivered set(again though seems like a very odd way to play QQ on his part).

Interested to here what the results were.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:17 PM

What kinds of hands would someone typically raise behind an UTG raise? I think AA-JJ and AKs are most likely, although an aggressive player may be willing to bet pretty strong with 10s-7s as well.

Given that: (1) you raised before the flop, & (2) check-called his flop and turn bets, I don't think he's bluffing on the river. Only reasonable hand you beat is AK, and you lose to KK/QQ/JJ/KQ/KJ/QJ/88. Most likely holding is Queens or Jacks, with the hope that you won't c/r with Kings.
Old 11-04-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your details are slim, but it seems that you are putting villian on KK here.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree... if hero thinks villain has KK, he will put in a raise somewhere.

against an extremely aggro opponent, i think this is a good line. he'll show up with 75 or some such junk frequently (assuming he's the type to fire 4 barrels), and a raise along the line will prevent him from bluffing more on later streets.

blake, what would you have done if villain pushed the river?
Old 11-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Good point, thats kinda what I meant by details are slim....We were given no specific examples of other hands by villian. I missed the extremely aggressive part the first time around though also.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:40 PM

if he's extremely aggressive until someone shows strength, then calling the preflop reraise and check-calling down is a great way to play tptk. if he's nutty aggressive push him preflop or on the flop - whatever reliably gets the chips in fastest.

matt