Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 03:19 AM

Default Whats your move?

Late stages of the Large Caps (50+5) on PP. Were in the money with about 53 players left out of a starting field of 600+. Average stack is at about 11,000.

Hero is two off the button in a ten handed game with KQo.

Hero:t8800
Blinds: 500/1000

Behind me are 2 bigger stacks that have me covered by 4k and 11k respectivley and two small stacks with less than 3k, one of which is in the bb.
Everyone folds to hero who...?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Whats your move?

Either makes a raise of 2000 to 3000 or folds..... At this point there really isnt any middle ground i'd either make a raise larger enough to let the other players know your pot stuck( but small enough to look like your trying to entice a reraise all in..) so a move-in(by them) has no fold equity... or muck the hand.
Depending on my reads i might muck this hand bc it is a dog to any dry ace.....Im not a huge fan of KQ heads up yur really just praying 99 88 77 10 10 JJ show up ....
Old 11-04-2004, 05:30 AM

Fold, you are going to be putting your stack at risk with perhaps the most overrated hand in no-limit hold-em. If you are two off the button, then you won't even have position on the big stacks...
Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 AM

good point kq is really overatted in nlh im a mazed at how people seem to play it especially after a raise sometimes(smooth call?? thats the worst play with kq behind a raise yet i see it alot)
Old 11-04-2004, 10:29 AM

It depends. If the table is moving in every second hand I would fold in a shot, but if everybody seems to playing very tight I would consider a raise to about 2.500. It also depends on how many chips the blinds have. If theres is reasonable chance you will get to steal the blinds I think raising is not such a bad move here..
If one of the bigstacks then moves in its obviously a clearcut foldsituation, but if a lowstack moves in with 4k or less, you would of course have to call and pray he doesnt have AK or AQ (or top3 pp).

I think I would fold it though, you still can afford a couple of orbits and KQ in early position aint that great.. at all..

D
Old 11-04-2004, 11:40 AM

No one goes by the 10xbb rule and push any hand that is playable. I think the worst move here would be to raise for a 1/3 of my stack and have to fold, then get hit by the blinds and in no time i am 3 to 4 xbb. So i think a standard raise it out of the question and a fold looks like the right answer. Is my thining flawed?
Old 11-04-2004, 11:57 AM

I think the fact that the guys behind you have bigger stack is what need to rule your play with KQ...

It is a deceptive hand...but only to you. I think the best think is to not get yourself in to a play with big stacks that may bump you out of the tournament. In a situation like this, you almost want a limper to protect you from the stacks (logic may be off here...please point it out)

Question what you want to have flopped...Kxx or Qxx
If someone raises or bets now what? You almost have to move in...

Now, All that being said, I almost always play these to my detrement...Got busted in the bubble three times with this hand...I'm an idiot but I see a hole that I can fix. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

-Gryph
Old 11-04-2004, 11:58 AM

Am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone folds to hero

[/ QUOTE ]
Short stack, premium hand, perfect position, folded to you. If you don't move in here why bother playing at all? The fact that you're not on the button or in the cut-off adds tremendous credibility to your hand - and you're a grand favorite to the random hand of the BB.

I'm really puzzled, did I miss something?

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 11-04-2004, 12:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Short stack, premium hand, perfect position, folded to you. If you don't move in here why bother playing at all? The fact that you're not on the button or in the cut-off adds tremendous credibility to your hand - and you're a grand favorite to the random hand of the BB.

I'm really puzzled, did I miss something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'd call KQo a premium hand, but for the most part I'm with McMelchior here. I see this is an easy push. You're not praying to double up over a lower pocket pair, you're praying to win the blinds.

What hand are you waiting for?
Old 11-04-2004, 12:48 PM

I agree with Sam and MrMelchior - if you're too scared to put your chips in here, don't expect to win a tournament.