Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Default How do you learn?

Heya guys - something I was thinking about last night is how I get better at cards: through negative reinforcement. Now that is certainly not to say that I cut myself when I screw up, but I do curse and moan at my monitor when I miss an obvious value bet. When I was learning the game I would press call and think to myself "well that was dumb now wasn't it?"

I guess what I am asking is do other people learn the game the same way or should I think about seeing a professional? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 04:56 AM

Default Re: How do you learn?

[ QUOTE ]
Heya guys - something I was thinking about last night is how I get better at cards: through negative reinforcement. Now that is certainly not to say that I cut myself when I screw up, but I do curse and moan at my monitor when I miss an obvious value bet. When I was learning the game I would press call and think to myself "well that was dumb now wasn't it?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I help a couple of guys in my local game who learn like this. I simply punch them in the face when they misplay a hand.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I do have to say that you may get some advantage online by typing "I'm going to cut myself over that loss" in the chat box after taking a beat!

King
Old 11-04-2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: How do you learn?

be really careful with this method. Sometimes good plays can lose pots repeatedly to the point where you question them.