Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2004, 04:30 PM

Default Help with AK and missed flop

I run into this situation often and am never sure about how to handle it...

Pre-flop Hero holds AKo in lets say MP

(I raise pre-flop and 5 to the flop including me)

Flop is something like J75 without any flush draws

checked to me, I bet??? get two callers

turn is a blank... do I bet again??? What if the same two call again?

Should I just give this hand up with 4 opponents on the flop and check/fold? Or is it better to check/call 1 bet on flop and check/fold the turn?

I get into these situations a lot where someone will just call me all the way down with a weak Jack and win or I get raised on turn and then I know I'm in trouble...

I just want to know how everyone else handles hands like these?
Old 11-03-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Help with AK and missed flop

A lot of it depends on the opponents that called your raise pf and did they call the raise, or 2 bets cold. Are they passive/aggressive post flop. Will they fold to a turn/river bet. How many saw the flop, what cards were on the flop, would your opponent hold one of those cards in that situation. How many are left at the turn. What level are you playing? What site are you playing? What day of the week is it (it really does matter to me on this)? Where are the flop callers in relation to you?

There are a lot of variables in this.

With your description, I would bet the turn about 1/3 of the time if the conditions are right.

Post some real hands with some player descriptions. This will help.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:09 PM

This is a decent example of what I mean... My question is... If you showed agression preflop and on the flop and no one played back at you, is it correct to continue to show agression all the way down or should I just assume that MP3 "must have some piece of the flop to call me" and check/fold my AK?

In this case I was fairly sure MP3 did not hold a 4 and was hoping he would fold his missed flush draw or 9... but he didnt...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.75 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>
Old 11-03-2004, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a decent example of what I mean... My question is... If you showed agression preflop and on the flop and no one played back at you, is it correct to continue to show agression all the way down or should I just assume that MP3 "must have some piece of the flop to call me" and check/fold my AK?

In this case I was fairly sure MP3 did not hold a 4 and was hoping he would fold his missed flush draw or 9... but he didnt...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button folds, UTG folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.75 BB, between Hero and MP3.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]
In this example, he's not folding a 9, and he's folding a busted flush draw, so you lose 1BB when you're behind, and gain 0BB when ahead.

Check/fold the river. You won't be bluffed with worse hands often enough to worry about this, since your opponent is passive.

Rob