Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 03:44 PM

Default I hate KJ

I sometimes play KJ in MP, sometimes not. Is there anywhere in this hand I could have let it go? Would a reraise on the flop have been better than calling? Play on all streets appreciated.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
Old 11-01-2004, 03:51 PM

Default Re: I hate KJ

3-bet the flop, lead the turn if he calls.

If he caps, I may check/call down on a blank, but probably check/fold UI.

-d
Old 11-01-2004, 03:55 PM

I think your play flop and on is fine. I'm not a big fan of KJ in the spot. If your are going it, that you would want to raise to limit the field. I'd really like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 PM

If you hate it, fold it. I fold KJo there unless I can open-raise. I'll limp in with KJo only in LP.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:20 PM

I would call the flop, not reraise. A lot of players at that level pump their flush and open ended straight draws on the flop just like the button. Don't help the draws by "trying to make them pay" on the flop. They want to bloat the pot for cheap small bets. You make them pay on the turn and river when they miss.

If he had flopped a set or two pair, he'd probably call and then show some aggression on the turn. He limped on the button, so you have to think about what this guy would limp with, possibly a drawing hand like 98 or Axs. Would he raise AJ and KQ or TT preflop like he should of or is he limping with all of them.

When the turn is a heart, I fold for sure. This small pot is not worth fighting for. If it's not a scare card like a heart or a straight card (like the ace on the river), you can call him down, but without a read on the guy i'd probably let it go unless the pot was bigger and no one else was showing aggression.

Watch the guy play, when does he re-raise people. Does he re-raise with the second best hand to clear people out, or is he pumping his draws, or is he making people pay to draw out on him, or does he just re-raise because he's got top pair no matter what his kicker and he thinks no one could possibly have a Jack at the same time he does. What ever the reason, if you can spot what he's doing, you get some insight as to how much he knows about the game and how sound his play is. Does he only turn over 2 pair or better, or is he going to showdown with every hand, ace high, any small pocket under pair , any piece of the flop that he hit no matter what the board or the action or the pot size. Take notes on him and you'll get an idea of what you've got to have to play him.

Hope this helps, I'm still new so any comments on my suggestions are welcome.