Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 05:17 AM

Default First week playing poker in college.

I havent played much poker since I started college so I put $75.00 into my account on tuesday and got it up to $800 in one day. I have been doing pretty good so far with my money management and now have just over 5,000 in my account.

I think I am moving up way to fast in limits, but also feel that I have thrown away any chance of moving back down because of the money the higher games offer. (I'll admit it, I'm American. I want to do as many tournaments in as little time as possible.) Right now I am at 200/15 and am not sure if I should be playing there. I make a lot of really stupid mistakes which I am working on, yet I am still able to increase my bankroll.

Since I am a poor college student, does anyone have any reccomendations on what I should do. I really would like to become a regular at the 200/15 SNG tables.

I am at the 3/6 limit tables right now just as a casual player once in a while. I really enjoy these games but am still not very good.

I need to get Poker Tracker, really really bad.

What should I do, I know I am not nearly as good as I could be, which I have to work on, but I still think I can beat the limit I am at.

Any recommendations would be very helpful?
Old 11-01-2004, 05:22 AM

Default Re: First week playing poker in college.

If you are not sure you should be playing there, you shouldn't.

Not neccessarily because you are not good enough, but because if you have any doubts, a run losing $1200 or even $2000 is going to destroy you psychologically.

Edit: FWIW I'd want nearly 10k before playing those.

Lori
Old 11-01-2004, 11:55 AM

you made 5k in a week? That's really good! How long have you been playing (before college)? If you just made 5k in a week, you can afford 50 bucks for PT.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:08 PM

If you are asking these type of questions I am 99% sure you are on a incredible hot streak. I would not be surprised if you busted within a couple weeks playing $200's.

-SmileyEH