Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 03:21 AM

Default This is what you get for trying to value bet me...punk

Good, bad or ugly? I had a read that he didn't have that good of a hand due to his turn check, so I pounced...

Yes, I made a mistake in not betting or check-raising the flop.

All comments appreciated,

Garland

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($34.25)
CO ($31)
Button ($42.50)
Garland ($105.25)
BB ($48.25)
UTG ($122.50)
UTG+1 ($21.50)
MP1 ($41.75)
MP2 ($106.25)

Preflop: Garland is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Garland completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Garland checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $3</font>, Garland calls $3, BB folds.

Turn: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($9) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $9</font>, <font color="CC3333">Garland raises to $80</font>...
Old 11-01-2004, 04:25 AM

Default Re: This is what you get for trying to value bet me...punk

im a little confused as to why you would bet 80? a raise of 15 or so would surely have informed you of whether he had a hand or not. why risk 80? and of course you mentioned your mistake was not betting the flop. tough hand, i would have made a move on the flop to get some more info on what he may have because at this point its very difficult to put him on a hand
Old 11-01-2004, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
MP3 ($34.25)
Garland ($105.25)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
im a little confused as to why you would bet 80?

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that MP3 would only have $21.25 left after his $9 river bet. My $80 river check-raise wasn't a risk per se as it was for show. It has the effect of putting him all-in and scaring the ba gee bees out of him [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

Thanks for your comments.

Garland
Old 11-01-2004, 05:10 AM

raise the turn ....raise the flop....... just raise!!!! i wouldve poped him on the flop at least a pot size bet.......
Old 11-01-2004, 06:02 AM

Hes still getting 2/1ish to call right. Unless you think that he wont notice this then its a good move. I would personally not fire again on the river here. The 9 is not really a scare card for him.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:39 AM

It's been said, raising the flop might 've worked. You might also have popped the turn, seeing as how that K probably didn't help him (Kx? Could be AK or KQ, but I doubt it).
After the flop I put him on some bullshit such as 89 or something of a pocketpair, 66 - TT (no set though). I would've therefore bet the turn.

Pushing him on the river you risk about 20 to win 18, seems alright with me. I think he'll fold often enough to make it a profitable bet (also accounting the times you just win it). If you see two pair or a set, so be it.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:57 AM

Smells underpair/draw here, like 77 or a flushdraw.
I think its correct to rereaise but raising on the turn would had given you much more information, since he might have pulled a tricky one and checked his kings hopeing to seem weak and you would had bet into him.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Why not check raise him on the flop, you have top pair good kicker, and the nut flush draw. I would of made it like $10.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:52 PM

Play it more aggresively on the flop and turn. On the river, looks fine to me, although there's a good chance you're bluffing with the best hand.

Justin A
Old 11-01-2004, 11:14 PM

Default Results

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I've been trying experimenting with a different style that involves being passive (especially in a small unraised pot preflop) until a situation arises such as the big river bluff check-raise, so that explains my passive play on the flop and turn. I go to different sites and experiment around until I find something that maximizes my results.

To say the least, play is different from Party to Ultimate Bet to Absolute Poker small stakes no limit.

I knew I was beat when he bet the river. That wasn't the issue. The issue was how to move the opponent off the hand. I felt he had just enough money where putting him all-in would cause him to fold.

My opponent indeed folded showing A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] confirming my original suspicion of a semi-weak hand.

Garland

------------------------------------------------------------
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP3 ($34.25)
CO ($31)
Button ($42.50)
Garland ($105.25)
BB ($48.25)
UTG ($122.50)
UTG+1 ($21.50)
MP1 ($41.75)
MP2 ($106.25)

Preflop: Garland is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls $1, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Garland completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Garland checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $3</font>, Garland calls $3, BB folds.

Turn: ($9) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, MP3 checks.

River: ($9) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Garland checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets $9</font>, <font color="CC3333">Garland raises to $80</font>, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: $98
<font color="green">Main Pot: $27, won by Garland.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: $71, returned to Garland.</font>

Garland has 8d Ad (one pair, eights).
Outcome: Garland wins $98.