Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2004, 01:50 AM

Default Can I call this river?

MP is LAG. We've played apx. 80 hands, me raising 16%, this is the first time MP has 3-bet me. CO has not been playing a lot of hands. I felt I was up against Aces. Looking back I probably should have bet out the turn and folded to a raise. Can I consider making an overcall once the king falls on the river? Would you have played the hand differently.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
Old 11-01-2004, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Can I call this river?

I'd definitely 3-bet the flop here and the hand will play differently. Betting the turn and folding to a raise would be bad also as he could have JJ and you'd be folding the best hand.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:49 PM

Default What Ponks said. NM

Old 11-01-2004, 02:21 PM

If the MP is LAG that doesnt really jibe with him threebetting you once the whole session.

At any rate, I think that threebetting the flop is probably the best option. [though a case could be made for a smoothcall and checkraise on the turn] With the 3 bet cold call preflop and the two bet cold call on the flop, i would expect the CO to have suited paint or a medium pp, so getting as much out of him as possible (particularly if he is drawing virtually dead with a smaller pp) is important.

Your call on the flop sets up a checkraise on the turn; the T probably doesnt improve either player's hand to a winner. You might even get a cap out of JJ or AKs.

Again, given the way you played the hand, I think that folding on the river is extremely bad. A LAG would continue to bet a variety of hands on the river because you never showed any postflop strength. With almost 15 BB in the pot you need to win a bit more than 6% to make a call profitable. Even an overcall seems justified. Many players call the river there with any pair, or even a busted nut flush draw.

Hope i didnt step on any toes, still very new to the boards [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 08:47 PM

Thanks for all your input. 3-betting the flop does make sense. Somehow, I overlooked the possibility of a 4 flush when I played the hand (neither player ended up having one this time). I incorrectly felt I was behind the entire hand when a player who had been cold-calling me pre-flop all day finally went over the top, and a player playing relativley tight cold-called 3 bets pre-flop, and 2 on the flop.

Doodle, no toes stepped on, I appreciate your insight. MP had these #'s (VPIP 60%, PFR 10%, Total AGR 1.80) so you could argue he was borderline LAG/Fish. I don't know why he hadn't been playing back at me till this hand.

The king was a horrible card, I was ready to check and call a blank on the river. When I folded I was really caught by surprise:

MP has Js As (one pair, threes).
CO has 6h 8h (two pair, sixes and threes).
Outcome: CO wins 14.75 BB.