Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Flush hitting situation that comes up very often...

You have TPTK with 2 flush cards on the flop in first position. You make a decent bet and one caller. Turn makes the flush possible. What do you do?

I have a major problem here with getting bluffed out. If I bet and they reraise or they call and reraise on the river, I nearly always fold. Of course when I bet on the turn and river, even when I do fold I lose a significant amount of money/chips because I'm making pot-sized bets. What's the best course of action against an unknown player?

Also, what if you have better than TPTK but not better than a flush? Does that change anything?
Old 10-29-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Flush hitting situation that comes up very often...

Have you considered checking?

You'll often hear it said that one pair is likely to win a small pot or lose a big one. So why do you keep inflating the pot size as much as possible?
Old 10-30-2004, 12:33 AM

Because whenever I check the other guy seems to take it as an invitation to bet and bluff at me.
Old 10-30-2004, 12:51 AM

If you bet the flop on the turn and are reraised out you fold, if you bet the turn and villian bet thes river you fold. You lose a pot bet either time.

If you bet the flop, and check the turn. Then you call the pot bet on the river, you see a showdown for the same amount.

Which would you prefer.

laters

harry
Old 10-31-2004, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you bet the flop, and check the turn. Then you call the pot bet on the river, you see a showdown for the same amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said first position, so if he checks the turn he's complaining about the bet into him in the river...

Overall, this is a lesson about position. If you're sb (first position like you said) there should be a very limited amount of hands that you should be willing to bet on the turn.

Lets say you complete with K10o,and hit a 10 5 2 with a flush draw on the board. Bet a decent amount on the flop, but if you get called be VERY careful what you do with the turn card. He could be calling with several things - flush/straight draw, 10 with a lower kicker, a 5 or a 2. Here reads are very important, but since you might not have any, you're out of position, and hence, should be very willing to give up the pot. I don't think you should worry about losing $5-7 from a bluff, you're targetting the pushes. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2004, 12:34 PM

you can try a half pot blocking bet on the turn.