Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 04:47 PM

Default Bottom pair on a 5-handed flop and I... check-raise?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Thoughts?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Bottom pair on a 5-handed flop and I... check-raise?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the pot a little too small to be trying something like this?
Old 10-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Pot is too small to really fight for this one. You've probably got enough outs to call here, but raising seems a bit reckless.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:00 PM

I agree with this move. You have plenty of outs (Including the nut backdoor flush draw). You want to maximize your chances of winning the pot by knocking out players who may have middle pair or straight draws.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've probably got enough outs to call here, but raising seems a bit reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising is way better than calling. Raising will hopefully knock out the players inbetween who have broadway cards and a good amount (collectively) of outs against the hero. It will also strike fear into everyone because check-raising is scary. Hero may have the best hand.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:06 PM

I'd really wan't to have something like bottom pair with an overcard kicker before trying something like this. I'd usually just check and fold that flop. Maybe bet the turn if everyone checked.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is too small to really fight for this one. You've probably got enough outs to call here, but raising seems a bit reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

The button bet a checked-around flop. Am I automatically behind here?
Old 10-29-2004, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've probably got enough outs to call here, but raising seems a bit reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Raising is way better than calling. Raising will hopefully knock out the players inbetween who have broadway cards and a good amount (collectively) of outs against the hero. It will also strike fear into everyone because check-raising is scary. Hero may have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when the 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] falls on the next card, and you bet out, and are called, what then?

There are many situations where I've used this play, but this one doesn't seem to be one of them. I'm new to SS, though, so take that FWIW.

Rob
Old 10-29-2004, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when the 3 falls on the next card, and you bet out, and are called, what then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that depends on who called the check-raise and what the river card is, but it will either be bet or check-call.

If you call the flop bet, then you're basically deciding to play like you have a weak draw, which I don't think is a good idea because you could have the best hand or you could fold a 9.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but when the 3 falls on the next card, and you bet out, and are called, what then?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that depends on who called the check-raise and what the river card is, but it will either be bet or check-call.

If you call the flop bet, then you're basically deciding to play like you have a weak draw, which I don't think is a good idea because you could have the best hand or you could fold a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]I guess I'm not frequently calling turn bets with BPTK. At that point you'll be getting 5.5:1 (assuming it's just the Button and you, which is part of the point of doing this), and both betting and check-calling feel kinda ugly here. Betting feels much better, but you're investing 2BB minimum to try to win a ~4.5BB pot, right? I wouldn't feel comfortable trying it without a read, and Hero didn't give us much of a read here.

Rob