Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Default Question about MP on a 15/30

Hi, I have recently changed my play to be more tight/agressive. I now take the stance that any cards worth playing from UTG to MP are mostly playable only if you are going to raise.

Would you agree with this?

Also I had some confusing decisions last night and was curious for some insight.

1) I am in MP with A5s. UTG raises to $30 it gets folded to me in MP. At this time there are only 3.5 SB as I have no clue what the others after me will do. I subsequesntly fold only to see three other caller. Well flop come 2 3 4 rainbow. UTG wins a nice size pot with pocket Queens. Was this a good fold at the time?

2) I am on the button and am delt pocket 2's. I was just beat from a CO raise with AK the hand before. Bet comes to me with UTG call one MP call CO raise. I fold them as my thinking is I am not going to be able to control the flow after the flop with the CO raise so my only saving grace will be to make my set. Well sure enough a 2 comes out on the flop and I give up another nice pot.

3) Pocket 8's in UTG position and I fold. All cards came out garbage with a 9 high. Pair of 4's takes down the pot.

Any comments on the above will be much appreciated.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: Question about MP on a 15/30

I'm really torn between recommending you stay at 15/30 so I can take your money and recommending dropping down so you don't go broke.

You've got some fundimentals to work on before you should be playing this game.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi, I have recently changed my play to be more tight/agressive. I now take the stance that any cards worth playing from UTG to MP are mostly playable only if you are going to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope. I'd limp utg KTs QJs JTs 88 77 sometimes AJo sometimes KQo.

mp depends on the limpers. If it's folded to me i'll raise or fold, though.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) I am in MP with A5s. UTG raises to $30 it gets folded to me in MP. At this time there are only 3.5 SB as I have no clue what the others after me will do. I subsequesntly fold only to see three other caller. Well flop come 2 3 4 rainbow. UTG wins a nice size pot with pocket Queens. Was this a good fold at the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

not folding would be a pretty substantial error.

[ QUOTE ]

2) I am on the button and am delt pocket 2's. I was just beat from a CO raise with AK the hand before. Bet comes to me with UTG call one MP call CO raise. I fold them as my thinking is I am not going to be able to control the flow after the flop with the CO raise so my only saving grace will be to make my set. Well sure enough a 2 comes out on the flop and I give up another nice pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you know the blinds are going to come along (because they are really loose or something, I'd call, otherwise I'd fold unless the CO way overplays his hands and I can make a ton when i flop a set.
[ QUOTE ]

3) Pocket 8's in UTG position and I fold. All cards came out garbage with a 9 high. Pair of 4's takes down the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldnl't be folding 8's utg as stated above. fold < 77

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop the results oriented bullshit.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the tough love... Much appreciated
Old 10-29-2004, 01:33 PM

The game conditions determine this: if it's a nice soft game with lots of limping you can limp in EP with small pairs, hands like KJs, QJs, etc. Is this 15/30 online? If so it's probably far too aggressive to limp with most of these hands in EP.

Yes of course it was - don't be results oriented. A5 is not a hand you should be calling raises with.

This decision is closer - close between folding and calling. I don't think either is a big mistake. With the excellent position I call if I don't expect the blinds or limpers to 3-bet, and if I expect good action postflop in the event I flop a set.

In most (typical to passive) games this is an easy limp, in tougher games this is a fold. If your image is tight in a tight game, a raise is probably in order. Actually if the game is too tough to play 88 UTG, look for a better game if you can.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really torn between recommending you stay at 15/30 so I can take your money and recommending dropping down so you don't go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

We can always use some more players down in the 5/10 games [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2004, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U gonna lose yo money.