Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2004, 12:28 AM

Default Development

My apologies if this isn't the correct place for this post, although I have an excuse since my count should show that this is my first post.

Short history: Just started playing last year, holdem for less than a year. Strong analytical & statistics background. Started online in June and lost a bit. Bought Poker Tracker, Turbo Texas Holdem and a few books (Hilger,Sklansky,Jones) and realized my tight hand selection wasn't tight enough and learned when to lay 'em down. In the last 3 months I'm up about 4 grand with about 1.4 BB/hr and around 15 VPIP, usually playing three tables of 3/6.

My question is: I don't see myself improving much right now, although I'm jumping back into the books (including Small Stakes TH) and starting to read this forum. Like everyone, I like to make money, but I'd rather improve to a better player all around. One big gap I have is reading people, other than the obvious. I don't catch on quickly to someone who always bets middle pair on the flop, etc. Part of that is playing multiple tables. Should I limit myself to just one table until that improves? Should I use software (Poker Office) to help with my learning/observations?

Thanks for your time.
John
Old 10-29-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Development

Do a search on bisonbison's "Notes on notes" post. He made up some detailed auto-rating instructions to get Pokertracker to do a certain amount of noticing those things for you.

Always helps to make lots of notes, too. Mine come in very handy sometimes.