Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Too aggressive?

Played in a 2-5 NL game last night. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in MP. UTG+1 raises to $20. I re-raise to $50. Everyone folds back to bettor and he calls. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. EP checks to me. I bet $75, EP thinks, folds.

I know I probably misplayed this hand and could've taken more off of him, but I have been burned slowplaying so many times that I really only do it with the nuts. Any thoughts on what the proper bet would have been in this situation? Any comments would be appreciated.

bp
Old 10-27-2004, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Too aggressive?

how big are the stacks?
Old 10-27-2004, 11:12 AM

I do not like slowplaying there...You are either going to get action or you arent...kinda sucks you didnt but you still won a nice hand. If you got action on that hand there are not many hands he could have that you would like him to show you...JJ, 66...AJ maybe....
Old 10-27-2004, 11:18 AM

I had about $300 and he had about $600 at the start of the hand.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 AM

You are right; it's better to take it down than to loose a big pot by letting him draw out. It's just hard not to second-guess an opportunity to possibly double-up.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:57 AM

I think you played this hand correctly.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:16 PM

really easy bet. but it isnt for the reasons that have been cited most in this thread. you arnt afriad of being "drawn out". You bet because that is the best way to get value out of the most likely hands you are vs here. an ace high board is generally one of those boards where you are either goign to get action or your arnt. If he is to give you action, the 2 most likely hands are 1. a lower ace or 2. a lower draw. Both hands will call your bet. If you fail to bet here, you lose a street's worth of value vs those hands.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:02 PM

The ONLY time that slowplaying is right is when you have absolute nuts...that way you get paid off without risking anything. Slowplay the wrong hand and you get burned by giving a free card or cards.

Protect your money when you need to and get it in when you have to.

besides winning a dollar out of a pot is better than losing it. Besides you couldve missed the diamond draw and he couldve hit trips if he had PP or smal tow pair if he played suited connectors
Old 10-27-2004, 01:24 PM

I'm not saying it's correct, but you could try betting a shad under 1/2 the pot, on the off chance that your opponent has a diamond draw (which you really don't want him to drop. I don't really know what diamond draw he could reasonably have, but you never know. All in all, you probably played it correctly and your opponent just didn't have a hand to give you action
Old 10-27-2004, 01:36 PM

Without knowing anything about the other player, I could certainly be wrong, but am I the only one who doesn't love the preflop re-raise?