Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 02:23 PM

Default How can I \"fix\" this problem?

I normally play tight/aggressive (maybe too aggressive).

If I think that I have the best hand, I bet. Too often it seems, I get called to the river and then check raised. Either by a set or a caught draw.

Should I start slowing down more? It seems wrong to slow down just because someone is on a draw, but I'm starting to get gunshy.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Re: How can I \"fix\" this problem?

Too often it seems, I get called to the river and then check raised.
Perhaps it's the opponents whom you play against, and not so much your play. Your line may be correct, but you'll have to adjust against more observant opponents who will take advantage of your aggression.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:29 PM

Aggressive is good. I think everyone has the same problem from time to time. Just sounds like bad beats. You can't back down just because some lucky callers start hitting their draws. Thats when you start making mistakes (calling when you should raise, etc). Make them pay for their draws and eventually it will start working out. Everyone gets rivered from time to time.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:09 PM

You need to post hands.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Post hands

Aggression is good, but some agression is stupid. It is stupid to keep betting a set on the river when there is a 4 flush on the board, the field is large, and you don't have the right suit in your hand. It is stupid to keep betting when the 3rd flush card falls on the river, and there is this one player who was playing the turn and the flop very passively by calling 2 raises cold but never himself leading out to bet (as if he were on a draw). It is stupid to stay aggressive if some guy counterpunches you on the river, and you don't bother to check the board to see how he might have improved, or ask yourself whether he was slowplaying something from the start. Bottom line: post trouble hands. I have found this very useful.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:34 PM

If they are catching draws more than they should than you are simply running bad. Sometimes they will catch draws less than they should. But don't let it change the amount you value bet the river.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:40 PM

Should I start slowing down more? It seems wrong to slow down just because someone is on a draw, but I'm starting to get gunshy.

No you shouldn't slow down. You are just forgetting all the times it goes bet-call, bet-call, bet-call, and you win a showdown, or bet-call, bet-call, bet-fold, because you think that those are the expected route to the river, and they aren't interesting. At most, you are losing one extra bet on those hands that you are drawn out on, and more often than not, you have won those bets and more previously, by being aggressive when you were in the lead.