Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 12:29 PM

Default Minnesota Stud 8 or Better

After playing 8 or better for a few years and learning the game over some time, I have come to the conclusion that the game in which I play in at the local card room and the home game I play in are very different than those which are played in Vegas or on the East Coast.
These are 30/60 limit and 40/80 limit, which are a $5 ante and $10 bring in and $5 ante $20 bring in respectively.

They are loose weak games with several players calling with 9's and 10's up frequently, and many times they will call with those cards up and say a j, 10, 9 start against a raising Ace door card with several lows playing.
A couple of the players like to raise a lot on 3rd street with low cards, and some times the bad high hands will play, some times they won't.
I think that the low should not raise in this situation, very often anyway, and let the high hands come in.
I feel these people will play a high hand if they think it is a good starter, regardless of what is happening, however, I am wondering what is the best strategy in such a loose game as this..
I wonder if Ray Zee has ever played in a regular game such as this??
Appreciate comments from anyone not named Andy B....
No offense Andy, it defeats the purpose. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Minnesota Stud 8 or Better

I think just limping with low cards is a great idea unless of course you know they are going to call a raise...if a 10 and J have come in before you why not raise it? It seems they may definitly call and if you catch good they are in trouble and probably wouldnt be able to dump the hand. Only bet if you think you can hold on to them. You do not want to lose your customers. I am new to this game(started in August) but your games seem easier than 1/2 and 2/4 games I play on Pokerstars....lol....but me personally...I do not raise on 3rd street unless I am in late position with premium holdings where I know everyone is going to call. If I am first after the bring-in with 345 suited I want to see another card and I want the waahoos who play hands like 852 to come in after me and hope I catch good and they catch what seems like a good hand to them and then take the chips!
Old 10-26-2004, 06:21 PM

if the game is very loose, its likely they'll call a complete bet anyways with high cards so why not let them? If the table is very loose-aggressive, then I really like limp-reraising with your monster lows, like 3 suited babies obviously and some of the other goodies.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:45 AM

I have no opinion on this matter anyway. Good luck, kid.
Old 10-29-2004, 03:36 PM

OK, princess, these guys have had three days to respond, and they haven't said much. I don't think that Ray is unduly influenced by my comments anyway. If these guys are playing those Tens and Nines whether it's $20 or $80, why not take the value on third street with a quality low hand?

I don't like discussing 2+2 at the table.

Easy game when you get hit in the face with the deck, ain't it?

And change the bring-in in the $40/80 game to $10 or $15 already.