Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 11:27 AM

Default how to deal with this o8 situation?

This situation has come up many times, I hold hands like As 3s Qc 6c on button, four player see the flop including BB,

Ad 3c Js 8h

fold to me, I bet, two callers, BB, EP

Turn: 7h

BB bet, EP call, I fold

River doesn't matter: the thing is I actually folded the half pot winner on turn, BB holds nothing but a straight draw with 566J, EP holds a crappy low of 2367.

Hands like this happen so often that it makes me think o8 helps the loose player because of the split nature.
Normally in a high only game, holdem or omaha, loose aggressive player can hardly knock me out of a winning hand. It's much easier to determine how strong a hand is, but with split game, it seems hard to determine where a half pot good hand stands, any advice how to handle this?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:22 PM

Default Re: how to deal with this o8 situation?

Joker - Assuming the worst and giving up when someone bets into you is sometimes called "weak" play. "Non-tenacious" is probably a more descriptive term.

When you play in a non-tenacious manner, you often allow aggressive players to out-play you. You look at what they're betting with when the hand is over and may think they're just lucky.

But you're not taking into account that more than playing their own cards, they may be playing you for being non-tenacious. In other words, they're gambling that you'll cave to the pressure.

Maybe they have good reason to think that and maybe they don't. Your better playing opponents probably have good reason to think that, based on their observations of your play. Your poorer playing opponents may just be gambling that you might be playing scared.

Some thrill seeking opponents may just be getting a rush from taking a gamble with trash. And you probably have some clueless opponents who may think they might have a good hand. There are a variety of possible types and I haven't covered them all here.

At any rate, your play seems non-tenacious to me - and there are plenty of poker players out there who will be glad to take advantage of what they think of as (or hope will be) "weak" play. Basically, you're allowing yourself to be out-played by these opponents, and even by clueless opponents.

It's Omaha-8, but you still have to play poker.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

Not a big deal, but it looks like you have an extra card in your flop.