Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2004, 05:59 AM

Default When do you get up and leave?

Everyone always says that if you're at a bad table then get up. It's better to stop playing than to lose your stack.

My question is, HOW do you know when to get up?
I mean, you could be getting poor cards, but that's no reason to leave. Is it when you feel you're being outplayed or your plays aren't getting the actions you want?

I find it difficult to get up if I'm having a bad game, as I think I can play out of it - that's not usually the case!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: When do you get up and leave?

You should avoid games where all of your opponents are tough. It's not that you are scared of these players, but you should prefer to have players at the table who are making mistakes.

Whether you are up or down in a session should not determine whether or not you should leave. You should make that decision based on your observation of the table.

Many players, when they are down, begin to play WORSE in an attempt to get even. However, a good player knows and expects these fluctuations and only bases his playing decisions on EV.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:25 PM

The funny thing about many poker players I have met is that they are very competitive and want to win so badly, that they keep playing when losing (even if the game is too tough, or their overall attitude is not good) and quit early when doing very well. The best players do know to keep playing when doing well, but many still are willing to leave early. We should all do the opposite.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2004, 12:52 PM

If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table... Seriously though, I don't get up as long as I am a favorite at the table (always) or until I lose 50 BB... heheh
Old 10-25-2004, 01:18 PM

I've found that what's needed is to pay the most attention to my own emotional and mental state. It's rare that I look around the table (B&M 10-20 hold'em) and decide my opponents are too tough. There's almost always lots of opportunities. Thus, based on "objective" criteria I'd never get up and leave. However, some nights we just get our butt kicked. This can take a toll. We have to avoid making bad sessions worse.

Here are my suggestions, for what they're worth:

1. When you reproach yourself for making mistakes (e.g. thinking things like, "I just made a loose call. I should have folded; I knew he filled up. Why did I try such a weak bluff? etc." you should probably leave immediately.

2. When you're feeling any strong, negative emotions (e.g. anger, hatred, insecurity, etc.) you should leave.

3. Reconsider whether you really even need to "play out of it" (bad game). Why play out of it right now? Why not tomorrow when you're fresh and balanced? Maybe just focus on putting in your hours of play.

4. How do the other players see you? Are they taking more shots at you because you're frequently coming in second best? If so, why fight this right now?

5. How many hours have you been playing? If I'm honest, I find my abilities decline after 8 hours of play. So, imagine I'm stuck after 8 hours and I'm at a table with several tricky players who love to make plays and see me as "running bad." Is this really a good situation to persevere and attempt to recoup my loss? Sure, I may make a comeback, but I may just lose more. How will I feel then? Worse, right? Why flirt with such hell just so one can attempt to not face "walking away a loser?"

So, my essence suggestion is to let go of the need to have any particular session have any particular result. Accept that some sessions are losses. Just put in your hours and attempt to play your best, reduce errors, and take the long view, not just in terms of money, but also in terms of your own emotional/mental state. Cultivating balance, being rested and healthy, and an absence of reactiveness makes this poker gig a happier experience and, practically speaking, helps avoid tilting in the future.
Old 10-25-2004, 02:15 PM

As long as i'm winning and appear to be the favorite I'll stay. If I'm down and just not getting any cards at all, sometimes i'll move, more out of superstition than anything else. But one of my main decisions for deciding to stay or leave is the number of preflop callers. If i'm at a table that is consistently having less than 4 people see the flop i'm generally going to leave because my style of play seems to work better at loose tables than at tight tables.