Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2004, 10:08 PM

Default My Jacks unimproved against aggresion.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Relatively new to this table. My only read is that it's passive as a whole, very little preflop raising.

Preflop: Hero is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $0.50. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 caps</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

MP1 limp-capping sent some red flags in my head. Visions of me up against rockets and cowboys are dancing in my head.

Flop: (17.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

As good a flop as I could have hoped for, no overcards, but no jack, either. Should I have raised the aggressor?

Turn: (10.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, BB calls.

I was surprised to see the Button fold here. Same question for the flop. Is the call good?

River: (13.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Again, just me calling. Comments?

Final Pot: 16.75 BB
Old 10-24-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Re: My Jacks unimproved against aggresion.

I think with the pair of 4's even if he made 2 pair on the flop you have him beat. MP1 was a poster so he it's hard to say what he has but I doubt he's got you J's beat. I'd raise the flop bet to hopefully drive out the button and your calling station in the big blind plus see what the MP1 does. If he raised I'd go in to check call mode. I might raise the river when it paired the board. I doubt this guy has got a high pocket pair.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:47 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

You said it yourself, as good of a flop as you could have hoped for. I raise the flop with the over pair. You probably have the best hand, and if not, you at least see where you are. If it's 3-bet then go into check call mode. If not, then keep up the aggression. You're ahead much more often than not.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 PM

In this big pot, you should consider calling the flop and raising a safe turn card. This is because had you raised the flop, your opponents would still be getting pretty good odds to call with almost anything, including gutshots or a single pair. By raising the turn, you make it two big bets to them, which will better protect your hand.

However, raising the flop would be fine too as you have great position relative to the bettor and a lot of players will fold for two bets cold regardless of the pot size (though waiting for the turn is probably better). You must raise somewhere here, though. Protecting your hand is very important.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt this guy has got a high pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the preflop action more carefully.
Old 10-24-2004, 11:48 PM

I follow this line of thinking because a lot of the people that post in early/middle positions are usually loose players. He sits down, sees a lot of preflop action, and gets immediately involved. With out a read, he could have anything, but the odds are against him just sitting down on pocket A's, at least from my point of view.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:41 AM

Default RESULTS

results in white
<font color="white">
MP1 [ A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] [ a pair of fours]
Hero [ J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] [ two pairs, jacks and fours]
BB [ 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ] [ two pairs, eights and fours]
</font>
Gotta love BB cold calling two bets with J8o. Turns out MP1 did have a premium hand, the best premium hand that I could've hoped for.

Lesson learned in this hand: don't back down to preflop action when the flop doesn't hurt my hand.