Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 06:42 PM

Default Bubble decision with tens

So I'm in a 220 person tourney on party, 100 buck buy in. Pays to top 30, 31 people left. 7 people at my table.

I have 14955 in chips, utg has 21k, utg+1 has me covered by 215 chips. I get dealt tens UTG+2, utg folds, utg raises the 600 chip big blind to 1800.

No one left in the hand was within 5k of chips of either of us, and only 1 within 9k. UTG+1 had been raising about 20 percent of the hands I'd seen to somewhere between 3 and 4 big blinds. He had been a little loose on some calls before but up until 5 hands ago he'd had about 21k in chips (he'd lost 5500 to me on some nice bluff catching on my part after he limped in the small blind) and had been calling 2-3k chips stacks, so I had no read on how tight he'd be versus a near equal chip stack.

What do you do with the tens, raise all in, fold, or call?

Well I'll add raise to a amount less than all in say 4500 in there, I sort of left it out since I was very sure he'd call that with just about anything from what I'd seen.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Bubble decision with tens

Of those 3 choices I'd probably call, I don't think going all in with that big stack is correct, and tens are too good to fold.

I may raise, but not allin, see what he does, say 4-5k range.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:51 PM

I'd smooth call here as well. He has to put you on a decent hand calling the raise so if the flop looks good you can take a stab at the pot. And even if you have to fold you should still have enough to play around with. He doesn't want to bust out on the bubble either so if he follows through on the flop he probably has a real hand.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:43 PM

My first thought was to push all-in based on his raising frequency. Lets assume he will call us with AK, AA, KK, QQ or JJ only. If my math is right he will have one of these hands about 1 time in 35, and we'll win some of those. Of bigger concern are all the players behind us who might find a hand, but this close to the bubble I'm pretty sure they're folding hands like AQ, and some of them will fold JJ too. Nope I've talked myself into pushing here.

This is probably your last chance to take advantage of the overall table tightness that comes with the bubble.