Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Gift Ideas

I'm looking for a recommendation for a Christmas gift for my son, age 20 who likes to play poker a lot. Any good calendars or books? He plays live and online.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Gift Ideas

Small Stakes Hold'em, by Ed Miller

That is, of course, if you want him to learn to win. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2004, 11:38 AM

A good poker chip set is always nice. Make sure it's at least a 500 piece set. Depending on how much you want to spend, you can find decent ones from about $.10 per chip up to $1.00 per chip. Also, get a nice carrying case too.

At least, this is what I would like to get as a present.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:49 AM

I agree with Kurn here. A good poker book is a great gift if he does not already have it. You might want to casually ask him if he has any books on poker, and if so ask to see them. SSHE would be a wonderful gift to any aspiring poker player, as well as many successful ones!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:01 PM

While I agree a strategy book would make a sensible gift, if he doesn't already have any books, SSH is not a good starting point. Lee Jones WLLH would be a much better first read.

If he has already read several strategy books, then I don't think another one is a very good gift idea. When I get presents (Christmas or birthday), I want them to be things that I want, but that I would not ordinarily have bought myself. If he already reads strategy books, then most likely SSH is already on his list of books to read, so he would have got it for him self eventually.

Personally, I would be more thrilled opening up a nice set of poker chips than another strategy book. It makes me feel more like a kid, getting all these cool toys for Christmas. Like last year, my favorite present was from my mom, who gave me one of those fold out poker table tops. I was stoked to get it, and I enjoy using it everytime I play on it.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:47 PM

I'm 22 and for the last 2 years it seems poker gifts are what I get:

- Table top (portable)
- KEM Deck of cards (NOT Super Index)
- SSH
- Poker Chip Set (I agree at least 500, with quality case)
- Poker Hat from favorite site
- Entry into a tournament
Old 10-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

what does every poker player want?

money, give him a one time shot at a higher limit....hahahaha, just bein honest
Old 10-23-2004, 09:48 PM

Good answer.
Old 10-24-2004, 01:09 AM

If your son is a 2+2 type, get him a session or two with a poker coach.

If he's just casual and he's college age - something to help him have nicer poker nights.
Old 10-24-2004, 03:17 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. From what he says he kicks all his friend's and they won't play him anymore so he either looks for better live games or plays online. I don't want him doing too well. His mother and I just want him to do a little better than break even. We don't want him losing any money and we don't want him to give any thought of neglecting his college work to pursue poker. He already has poker chips and giving him money to for a tournment entry just doesn't seem right either. I mean, I know he drinks too but I'm not going to buy him good booze. The book idea sounds good. Maybe I'll get two copies, one for me and one for him. I've seen him play online and his game is much different than mine. He's real aggressive pre-flop when he decides to play his cards (hold 'em). I'm much more of a limper.