Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Bad play of KK at NL50

NL50 (6 max) on party. I'm in SB with KK and $50. Villian on button with $100. I have no read on Villian.

- 1 limper
- Villian raises to $3 (standard raise).
- I re-raise to $8.
- He re-raises to $25.
- I call (?)
- BB and limper fold

Flop (pot=$52): A84 rainbow.
- I check.
- Villian checks.

Turn (pot=$52): J
- I check
- Villian bets $10.
- I call

River (pot=$72): A
- I check
- Villian bets $15
- I call for my last $15.

I usually don't cold call this many bets in an hour. Win or lose, I felt like I played this like an idiot, but, then again, I'm not sure how I'd play it differently the next time. How would you play it?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Bad play of KK at NL50

Stacks in Party are shallow so I'm pushing KK all-in preflop against an unknown player with no reads.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:45 AM

I never back down with KK pre-flop. After the re-raise to $25 I would have just gone allin. If he wants to call with Ax then fine.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
- Villian raises to $3 (standard raise).
- I re-raise to $8.
- He re-raises to $25.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the point where you decide if he has AA or something else. If you think he's got AA, you fold. If you think he has something else, you push. There's enough money in the pot so that you don't really mind if he folds, but he's committed enough to the pot that he'll call with a lot more hands than just AA.

Calling is the worst option, because you really can't get away from the hand after you've called that re raise. Since you're going to call on the flop no matter what happens, you might as well push pre flop and get AQ-AJ type hands out.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:53 AM

All in over the top of his reraise. The pot will be twice the size of your remaining stack if you call, which is pointless. Just get all the money in, and if he has AA, so be it. The range of hands average NL50 6maxer will make this play with include a lot of hands you beat.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:45 PM

What type of hand to you think would raise btf, then re-raise to $25 behind another raise? (HINT: It's probably not QQ or JJ)
Old 10-22-2004, 12:51 PM

I thought he had AK. I raised only to $8 from the SB, so it looked like I was simply defending my blind with something like AQ. When he raised to $25, I felt he had a very good hand, but wanted me to fold.

After he checked behind me on the flop, I was convinced he had QQ or JJ.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:06 PM

Simply put, it is all-in pre-flop. it is the only way to have some fold equity. After the flop u simply have no way to put pressure on him.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM

All-in was the right play. However, if he had Ax, there was a very good chance he would fold on the flop if he didn't pair his hand. Therefore, he was more likely to fold on the flop, than pre-flop.

This was my "plan". Call, then push on the flop if an A didn't hit.

Since pushing pre-flop would be giving him 2:1 on the call, I figured he would call. Thinking about it now, since he would call with many hands worse than mine, I should have pushed.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:06 PM

him having Ax is not a bad thing. you dont have to get AX out. in fact you cant, so dont try. you are very happy that he raised to 25 with it. if he doesnt have AA he is trapped, dont let him out. youre way ahead, make your money. dont let him get out on the flop when his ace doesnt hit.

if you know he has AA, fold. i dont think you can assume AA here unless you have a great read on this player. i would say hes about 50-50 to have AA which makes this an automatic allin.