Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 08:45 PM

Default NL Pocket Aces Hand

Texas Hold'em $5-$10 NL (real money), hand #398,650,035
Table Sapporo, 21 Oct 2004 07:08 PM

Seat 1: CO ($305 in chips)
Seat 2: Button ($350 in chips)
Seat 3: SB ($585 in chips)
Seat 4: BB ($944 in chips)
Seat 5: HERO [ AC,AH ] ($534 in chips)
Seat 6: Second Position ($131 in chips)
Seat 7: VILLAIN ($233 in chips)
Seat 8: Fourth Position ($882 in chips)
Seat 9: Fifth Pos. ($504 in chips)
Seat 10: Sixth Pos. ($510 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($2), BB posts blind ($5).

PRE-FLOP
Hero bets $25, Second Pos. folds, Villain calls $25, 4th pos. calls $25, 5th pos. folds, 6th pos. folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls $23, BB folds.

4 of us see the flop.

FLOP [board cards JC,3D,8C ]
SB checks, Hero bets $75, Villain calls $75, 4th Pos. folds, SB folds.

TURN [board cards JC,3D,8C,JS ]
Hero checks, Villain bets $133 and is all-in

Villain has been playing pretty tight for the hour so it is hard to see him calling my raise with a hand that contains a Jack (AJ, KJ, QJ) from early position. Also, I think if he was on a flush draw he probably would have pushed or folded with a short stack. I think he might have pocket queens in this case but I'm really not sure. What would you guys do differently, and would you call his all-in on the turn? Should I be raising more UTG with Aces, considering I got called in three spots, or is 5 times the BB sufficient?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:10 PM

Default Re: NL Pocket Aces Hand

I would raise a little more preflop. Villan has JJ?
Old 10-21-2004, 09:23 PM

If Villan is tight then he probibly hit a set of 8s or quad jacks
Old 10-21-2004, 10:08 PM

Without any additional information, I can conceive of conditions and player types where the villian has a big jack, a club draw, or hit a set on the flop and boated up on the turn.

If he is a top 5-10 player, then he will think you have an overpair when you bet $75 into the $100 pot in front of 3 players. He could reserve a chance for TT, AJ, or AcKc, but those are less likely. You look like a big pair. For him to call, he would need a set or AA/KK, and the AA/KK is unlikely. He doesn't have enough behind to play a draw. Most players, even at the 5-10 are not this good however, so that opens the door up for the other scenarios I listed above.

If he is a top player and has a boat on the turn, it would be smarter for him to check it through. If he has a big jack, he may choose to put in his $133 now.

This was a simple hand overall and its likely that he had trips or better on the turn. You are risking $133 to make $380 though, so if you think there is a decent chance he has a club draw or a PP that didn't trip, it is prudent to call.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:27 PM

I think the villain has 8s full. With only a 25 utg raise with 5/10 blinds I would raise with JJ up to 60-75 to see if they're good. 77-10 10 would be more likely to call that raise.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:04 AM

The blinds were actually 2 and 5, I guess the 5-10 NL at the top of the hand history threw everyone off. I don't think JJ is possible as he would probably check behind on the turn...?
Old 10-22-2004, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think JJ is possible as he would probably check behind on the turn...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, not sure about that. If I were Villain with JJ, I push here on the turn. The reason is that there are so many scare cards that could come on the river that would make Hero scared to put any more chips in, fearing that I was on a draw.

There's both a straight and flush draw out there. If either of those get completed, I don't think Hero will necessarily pay me off. My best chance I think is to push on the J. Hero won't necessarily put me on a J.

That being said, I am not sure what I would do in Hero's position. I think I call here. The pot is pretty big, and villain easily could have KK or QQ, and know that the J did not help you. Folding against a potential KK/QQ would be an egregious mistake.

Although unlikely if he's a tight player, Villain could be pushing all in on a draw also.

By the way, I think your raise preflop was fine. Maybe bet a bit more on the flop, with it being so draw heavy.
Old 10-24-2004, 12:16 PM

$25 is on the high end for raises in that game. Any more and you get no callers, unless someone is unlucky enough to pick up KK or maybe QQ.

I think, given that you checked, and given that villain only have $130, you have to call. Opponent has QQ, KK, or draw often enough to pay off. (Especially since a monster hand might check here.)

What is villain's username?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:39 PM

Villain is chipbully...do you usually play in that game?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:57 PM

Well your getting almost 3:1 on the call.

Are you good 25% of the time? I woudl say so. Call.

You showed weakness from checking the turn. Looks like you could easily have AK to him.