Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2004, 04:40 PM

Default Raised PF, whiff flop. cut losses or keep firing? any middle ground?

These are always tough (aren't they). I raised ATo on the flop because it was down to me versus the big blind and one limper who was often playing with pretty weak cards.

THe question is how to play this after I whiff on the flop. Against a large field I usually give it up pretty quick. I may lead bet the flop but will try to avoid paying more than 1 small bet. Against a small field I push it harder.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP2 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Should I have just check-folded here? I would have versus more than one opponent.

River: (6 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero ????

If I bet BB will likely call with the "any pair" that he has been calling with, or may fold if he was drawing to heart flush.

If I check he may bet any pair, or it may induce a bluff. For this reason I think I'd have to call a bet.

I cannot check-fold here can I?
Old 10-21-2004, 04:46 PM

Default Re: Raised PF, whiff flop. cut losses or keep firing? any middle ground?

I think this is why I just call pf. You're out of position the whole time, and any top or 2nd pair will probably call down without giving you any information.

Fire on the flop, check/fold the turn?

-d
Old 10-21-2004, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Raised PF, whiff flop. cut losses or keep firing? any middle ground?

Hi-
My 2 cents:
I like the turn bet, because it's heads-up.
I think if you're going to check with the intention of calling one, you might as well bet out. But I think checkfolding might be correct, though it pains me to say it. This seems to be an "only a better hand will call" situation, no? I don't think pair of threes ace kicker wins more than one out of 8 times, but then again I know not the 2/4 game. The only hands you're beating, pretty much, is a busted flush draw or a few overcards like KJ. For me, the difference is usually player dependant and dependant on my current table image. When I'm getting "respect" I "know" they'll fold for one bet on the river so I'll bet out. When I'm not getting any respect, I'll check.

Curious to know what happened and why you chose to act the way you did. I often am confused by these hands.
-t
Old 10-21-2004, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Raised PF, whiff flop. cut losses or keep firing? any middle groun

Ok you raised hoping for a steal and it didn't work out. check fold that flop. I don't know 2/4 games and unless you have any reads on your opposition, BB probably has either a busted flush draw or a pair (or maybe both). Either give it up on flop or the turn, but I don't think your bluff is going to work.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:50 PM

Preflop, Flop, and Turn are all good.

River is the tough part. Will the BB fold a better hand than yours if you bet? No, not when he's called this far. Will he call with a worse hand? Nope, I can't think of a worse hand he would call with. Will he bet a better hand if you check? He'll probably bet a Q, but he may not bet a 7 or 5. Will he bluff bet a busted draw or worse hand? Maybe, though that's pretty player read dependant. Did you have any reads on the BB's river tendencies or general read?

I would check and then decide. A read would allow me to make a better judgement, but with no read, I would call to get that information. However, folding wouldn't really be that bad.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is why I just call pf. You're out of position the whole time, and any top or 2nd pair will probably call down without giving you any information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why give the BB a free look? And I'm sure you have a better hand than the guy who openlimps in MP2. Raising here is good. Not being in position isn't that bad, a lot of times you will pick up the pot with a bet on the flop or followup on the turn even if you don't hit. Since you raise preflop, it's up to your opponents to hit the flop, not you.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check fold that flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Super weak.
Old 10-21-2004, 09:29 PM

I bet the river, BB called and showed 6-7 off and dragged the pot.

I still like the PF raise and the flop bet. Once it got heads up I like the turn bet. Then I felt I should spend the extra BB to try to buy the pot at the end.

Party 2/4 seems to be playing a little tighter lately and I have won quite a few AQ type hands raising PF, betting all the way and then getting the field to fold without a showdown.

Do you Pokertracker experts know if there is a way to see what percentage of hands are are won without a showdown? It seems higher lately....I'd guess about 33% at Party 2/4.
Old 10-21-2004, 10:27 PM

I like your play ESPECIALLY since it gets heads up...

In 2/4 and ESPECIALLY 3/6, the blind is checkraise bluffing A LOT...How do you deal with these situations?
Old 10-21-2004, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok you raised hoping for a steal and it didn't work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong, you're raising because you have the best hand.