Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2004, 12:15 AM

Default AA on BB

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>,

Ok, now before we see what I did, let me explain. I have an aversion for tricky plays against the players I usually see. It just doesn't work out. But in this case, after the flop comes, I'll be first to act with a medium-sized field behind me. If I cap preflop, and lead out on the flop, I figure the field will just call. There are 2 opponents that have shown a willingness to raise so far, so after the flop comes, I have an excellent chance of executing a real good check-raise. So...

... Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

I'm loving the flop &amp; the action. Iv'e executed a great check-raise for a lot of value, and everyone collapsed.

Turn: (10.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, Hero ... ?

The board paired, uh-oh. I'm fairly sure he's got another T. I'm not sure what to do. Check-call? Remain aggressive &amp; try to beat him down? I mean, the on-board pair notwithstanding, Iv'e got a great hand for this flop.

What's my line?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:17 AM

Default Re: AA on BB

Call down. I see your thinking pre-flop, but I'd cap anyway. The other players don't think enough to appreciate the strength you show with the cap.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:21 AM

Cap it, youve got the preflop nuts. Everybody is drawing against you, anytime you dont charge them you are making a mistake. They arent going anywhere with the pot being as big as it is. Get your money in while youre equity is high.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:22 AM

I see your thinking pre-flop, but I'd cap anyway.

90 times in 100, I would, even UTG. This is an infrequent play for me.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:24 AM

How do you interpret MP1's stop &amp; go? Is it a bluff? If he improved, what did the T improve him to?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:26 AM

cap it preflop. there are too many people in the pot to not charge them when you are a huge favorite. i usually reserve my aa limps/smoothcalls when it is headsup or 3 handed, and i can punish them postflop when they hit a pair.
Old 10-20-2004, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The board paired, uh-oh. I'm fairly sure he's got another T. I'm not sure what to do. Check-call? Remain aggressive &amp; try to beat him down? I mean, the on-board pair notwithstanding, Iv'e got a great hand for this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

3betting the turn would just be spewing chips. He's not on TT because he would have capped. But, an overplayed ATs, 88, and even a way overplayed 22 all look like strong contenders.

There is also a slim chance he is on JJ and taking a stab with the vain hope that the rest of the field is on overcards.

Check/call and hope to spike the A or that he was just taking a naked stab at the pot.
Old 10-20-2004, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it is a good play in a hand like this. I mean, what is the difference between capping preflop and getting an extra SB out of everyone then and check-raising for an extra bet on the flop? I my mind the differences are that one: if you cap PF you have shown strength which can be valuable on the later streets. And two: there is no guarantee that you will get that extra bet on the flop. Someone that is almost certain to call a PF cap after already putting in multiple bets might fold on the flop.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

90 times out of 100 isn't nearly enough.

look, i'm all for tricky plays and such. but when you got multiple callers going for multiple bets its a crime against humanity to not cap.

the only time i don't cap AA preflop is if I'm in a heads up encounter and I'm trying to extract more bets postflop. but even heads up I cap most of the time. in a multiway pot, its a crime not to cap.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:23 AM

You have to cap every single time. If they fold for two bets, that's good. If they call, that's good also.
Call down after the turn. And river the ace.