Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 02:08 PM

Default King of being outdrawn...?

I have self-proclaimed myself the "King of Being Outdrawn" and I feel I now have the hand to justify this title.

$1/$2 NL at Foxwoods ($100 max buy-in). I buy-in for $100, and am up to ~$250 in 1.5 hour.

Get dealt Ks 8s, limp in from MP.

Flop comes down As 2s 7s. BB bets $20. Folds all the way to me. I make it $60. Folds all the way back to BB. He re-raises me all-in (he had me covered). No-brainer, I call and quickly turn over my "nuts" flush. He sheepishly turns over his 9s 3s and explains "I didn't think you had it made, thought you were just betting the king."

I think you all know where this is going.

Turn: 4s

River: 5s

Straight flush.

I had my statistics buddy figure out the odds - does 955:1 sound about right?

Is my title validated?
Old 10-19-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: King of being outdrawn...?

[ QUOTE ]
I have self-proclaimed myself the "King of Being Outdrawn" and I feel I now have the hand to justify this title.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I read this sentence then glance up at your nickname, I can barely contain the guffaws of laughter that are struggling to break out from deep within my belly.

SpaceAce
Old 10-19-2004, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As I read this sentence then glance up at your nickname, I can barely contain the guffaws of laughter that are struggling to break out from deep within my belly.

SpaceAce

[/ QUOTE ]
lolololololol
Old 10-19-2004, 02:25 PM

I see your point - but I don't really slow-play very often. I just did successfully a couple times in one home game and someone called me "Slow Play Ray" and it stuck...BAD. So I'm not an idiot - it just sounds funny.

The "King of Being Outdrawn" title specifically refers to my going all-in with the better hand and being drawn out. Been happening a lot to me in tournaments lately (though this example was from a ring game).
Old 10-19-2004, 02:27 PM

Default Hail to the king baby.

For me to poop on.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Hail to the king baby.

[ QUOTE ]
For me to poop on.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the insight.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:49 PM

Default NO BAD BEATS!!

Old 10-19-2004, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Get dealt Ks 8s, limp in from MP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmmmm.

Justin A
Old 10-19-2004, 04:26 PM

Is that a condescending "hmmm"? Seems to be the underlying theme at this forum. Sorry if I've offended any experts.

You wouldn't play that hand for $2? I don't know if you've ever played the $1/$2 NL at Foxwoods, but it's not exactly professional level play. Lots of $2 flops. Weak players.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:39 PM

Default NEW PHILOSOPHY ABOUT BAD BEATS: THEY ARE GOOD TO TELL.

I got a question. Why does everyone badmouth bad beats? I think they're good, and here's why: explaining to someone that you were outdrawn in ridiculous circumstances and having them validate your play allows you to get over the beat more quickly, avoid excessive tilt, etc. Particularly when voiced on this forum, it's a victimless crime, since you don't have to read the post, and the content of a bad beat post is invariably betrayed by its title (I mean, grifter, why the hell would you read this post, except to climb up on your high horse and criticize someone).

From now on, I'm not going to subscribe to the "no bad beat stories" philosophy of of this corner of poker... instead, I'm initiating the "no criticizing the bad beat story tellers" philosophy.

If you don't want to read a bad beat story, just skip it. Don't tell someone not to tell bad beat stories, because NOBODY CARES IF YOU DON'T LIKE BAD BEAT STORIES.

peace,
nutz