Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2004, 10:44 AM

Default Dennis Rodman - maniac or genius?

Rodman won the Celebrity Poker Showdown last week. He was making some of the most ridiculous plays, some of which turned out great for him.

Now if someone like Gus Hansen was making these plays, it'd be different. Rodman had a very "lost" look in his eyes and it was never clear if he actually knew what he was doing. His actions, the way he bet, how fast he'd call raises with seemingly no thought when he was holding zip... all very strange.

Example: I remember one hand that had a board of something along the lines of JJK98 and Rodman called down big bets pre-flop, flop, turn, and then an all-in on the river... with ACE HIGH. He actually won the hand! (A little fuzzy on the details, but I remember the board being very scary with straight and flush possibilities as well as a decent sized pair on the board.)

Are we left to believe that Dennis is such a pro and had such a great read on his opponnent that he knew his ace high would be good? Not sure what to think...

Anyone remember when Coolio was on this show? It was sort of like that. You had to wonder if he even knew the basic rules of the game, let alone had any sort of grasp on strategy.

However, unlike Coolio, Rodman walked away with the "W".

I thought the whole thing was very odd.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Dennis Rodman - maniac or genius?

He clearly had no clue at all, and the proof is the hand early on where he flopped a set of q's and folded to a relatively small bet on the flop.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:52 AM

I did not see this CPS. I actually stopped watching that show when the plays began to make me physically ill. Not to mention bore me to tears.

From your description, I would think that Rodman was just a lucky maniac. Something we have all seen many times. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2004, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He clearly had no clue at all, and the proof is the hand early on where he flopped a set of q's and folded to a relatively small bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me you're not serious. Was it the nuts?
I'll bet PG went crazy.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:10 AM

Yes, PG went crazy, although Rodman's hand wasn't the absolute nuts. The board was KQQ (don't remember the suits), and the only other person in had Kx.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, PG went crazy, although Rodman's hand wasn't the absolute nuts. The board was KQQ (don't remember the suits), and the only other person in had Kx.

[/ QUOTE ]

he folded quads?
Old 10-19-2004, 11:34 AM

He had a Q with a small kicker. The flop was QQK. The other player bet about 1000 in a pot that had about 2000 in it. She had K with a decent kicker. He didn't even spend time thinking about it. She bet and he folded.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:36 AM

Before Rodman became famous as a freak, he was a pretty well-known local celebrity in Detroit. I also have shot craps with him a time or two in Chicago.

I don't want to disparage the guy, but based on my experience, the odds that he is some hidden poker genius are quite low.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha. Ok, I didn't even see that part. I only caught the last part of the show. If I'd have seen that play, there'd be nothing left to doubt.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he folded quads?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read that again.