Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 04:26 PM

Default medium pocket pair taken too far?

Where should I draw the line? I figured he either had a higher pocket pair or a good high card... I suppose looking back on it now, I should have folded just because of the pot size. Suggestions?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG (poster) checks, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, CO calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

River: (6.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Re: medium pocket pair taken too far?

You played this hand too passively.

Preflop is okay in the BB, but after that you need to put in a raise. You have an overpair to the flop and just because someone else raised preflop, it does not mean they have a high pair. A raise on the flop will likely knock out UTG if he holds just overcards and will put SB to the test. If he plays back at you only then should you consider folding, but many times it would be right to call him down unless the board gets way too scary(Im not sure about here in this small pot though).
Old 10-18-2004, 04:51 PM

I would not put him on a high pair normally, but you need to push a little to get more info from him. I assume SB bet the flop, if he did I would have raised here to see what he had. If he 3-bet I would probably cap. If he led out the turn, folding may be the way to go, most players will not push that hard with overcards.
Old 10-18-2004, 06:09 PM

Raise the flop for information. It may also buy you a free card at the turn if things go scary. If he 3-bets, I would likely call, then check/fold the turn unimproved.