Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 11:30 AM

Default Going to New Orleans on Saturday, what to expect at Harrah\'s?

Will be in NOLA for 4 days for a conference, staying across the street from Harrah's. Anyone have any experience there?
What HE limits are offered and how are the games? Been playing mostly 5/10 online lately, only B&M experience was the 3/6 at Mirage last month which I had no problem beating.
Thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 11:59 AM

Default Re: Going to New Orleans on Saturday, what to expect at Harrah\'s?

Expect rude locals buts lots of fish to make up for it. Good luck! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 02:02 PM

I palyed at Harrahs 6 months or so ago. They spread a 3-6 holdem and a 4-8 spread limit Holdem/Omaha High mixed table(one circuit of each). I played the 3-6 and broke even, then went to the 4-8 and busted my Ohama cherry! First hand I flopped quad 55s and swept a BIG O pot. I managed to bleed the profits away learning Omaha the hard way, playing way to many second best hands as I would normally in Holdem... but I thought the players were pretty average, and I liked the spread limit half and half game, it was a good learning place...

Good luck, win enough to visit the Gold Club off Bourbon!
Old 10-18-2004, 02:08 PM

They usually have 3-6, 6-12, and 10-20 IIRC.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:27 PM

Played the 3-6 Hold 'em game last May at Harrah's in New Orleans. It was filled with bad players across the board. Expect to have a big hand cracked once in a while...but overall, I think the game is easy to beat with patience and well-placed aggression.

Good luck.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:08 PM

Nice to see another poker playing ophthalmologist. What ever you do, take your badge off when you leave the covention center. A few years ago, I went to the CLAO meeting in Las Vegas and actually saw two eye docs wearing their meeting badges at a table at the Bellagio. Nothing like wearing a sign that says "please take my money". Good luck. Try the soft shelled crabs at Christians, best in the world.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:54 AM

Maybe I should leave the badge on and act like a complete idiot. It does crack me up seeing everyone wearing their badges all over and looking like complete dorks.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:25 PM

The later it gets on the weekends, the wilder the variance of the tables, especially at the 3-6 level. Afternoon sessions can often be more loose passive, but when the booze kicks in and the bachelor parties show up you may see eight-way capped pots, live straddles, and general idiocy. Playing the 6-12 limit may temper the wild factor, but only slightly.
Old 10-19-2004, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The later it gets on the weekends, the wilder the variance of the tables, especially at the 3-6 level. Afternoon sessions can often be more loose passive, but when the booze kicks in and the bachelor parties show up you may see eight-way capped pots, live straddles, and general idiocy. Playing the 6-12 limit may temper the wild factor, but only slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if you can stomach the variance it is a great game later at night and on weekends. Awful play all around. Lots of younger guys wearing sunglasses which is always funny.