Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 08:39 PM

Default How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)

Just finished Ann Coulter's new book "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)".

I highly recommend it to any of you Conservatives...you liberals should stay away and watch the boob tube instead. Libs will only get upset, whine and call her a "big fat stupid white chick" or "a lying liar" or something else just as devoid of any intellectual substance whatsoever, even if they only read the back cover.

A flaming liberal friend of mine was at my house this weekend and saw the book on my living room table. He exclaimed "You reading that garbage?" I said "Yeah, it’s great. You read it yet?" He replied (predictably) "Hell no - she's a liar." I asked him what the last political book he read was. He hasn't read ANY, EVER. This is the same guy who swears by Mikey Moore's fake documentaries which have been proven to be, well, phony as hell to all but the blind sheep. I pity my buddy for his obvious lack of sense on politics, but he's a good guy on many other levels. He’ll vote Kerry and then whine when he loses. I avoid talking politics with my lib friends. I don’t like embarrassing them.

Anyway, I went way off topic there. "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)" wasn't as coarse as Ann's other books, which was refreshing. Her sense of humor is outstanding. I laughed out loud at least once on almost every page. Libs make me laugh daily, but Ann's perspective makes me laugh at them even louder.

I wonder why so many Conservatives' books spend weeks or months on end on bestseller lists while far, far fewer liberal books do. Maybe the lib's are getting their views from comedians like John Stewart and Letterman instead of reading intellectual books. Ahhh, the old "Idiot Box".....
Old 10-17-2004, 08:52 PM

Default Re: How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must)

I haven't read any of her books, but Ann Coulter seems to be just a low level insult Queen on TV.

Just curious what is the real point of this post. To bash libs, or promote this book. If your really into promoting this book, why don't you give a brief summary of what the book is about..... and not take the caveman approach to something you disagree with.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:59 PM

I'm glad you are intellectually challenged by an Ann Coulter ranting rave book.

Next, try "My Pet Goat". I've heard it will keep some people's attention for quite a while.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:01 PM

If you are going to criticize your friend for not reading Anne Coulter's book, then you should be open minded and read Al Franken's book Lying Liars, which critiques her writing.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:45 PM

I read the same book recently and one other of her books. She certainly has sharp way about her, shall we say. However, she certainly has a way with words and she copiously researches her work. The two I have read have many endnotes, all of which are easily verifiable.

This particular book is really just a collection of her columns. Some are columns that never got printed, some are ones that were printed but were changed by editors (the ones in the book are unedited). They are thematically organized. The first chapter has "rules" for talking to a liberal, which is funny but reading many of her columns are what make the book worth reading. I suggest you check it out, I think you would enjoy it even if you dont agree with all her views.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to criticize your friend for not reading Anne Coulter's book, then you should be open minded and read Al Franken's book Lying Liars, which critiques her writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried reading that book, but after reading 3 pages about how the skin on an O'reilly poster was airbrushed so his skin would look less "splotchy", I couldn't read anymore. I did manage to force myself to leaf through it and analyze the most important parts according to some of my friends, but it just got worse. That man is a waste. I'm no fan of Ann Coulter either, but I've heard that she has alot of historical facts in her books and is the first book on the NYT best seller list to even mention the year 1846(I think that's the year). So I owe her the same level of attention I gave Stewart Smally.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:50 PM

In Al Franken's defense (and Ann Coulter's), at least neither of them are Michael Moore.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:50 PM

Vulturesrow, I respect your views, and simply because you recommended I check it out, I will buy the book.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:24 PM

well, at least you made fun of liberals for making stupid arguments with nothing to back them up with what evidence? none! one of your friends doesnt make up the entire liberal population. it is funny how conservatives give liberals so much [censored] for being "hateful and unpatriotic" but ann coulter is totally not hateful. at least we know that youre overly smug and think youre much smarter than you are, enjoy it though man.

rj
rj
Old 10-17-2004, 10:53 PM

ann coulter as quoted on teh oreilly factor as saying:

"the economy is awesome and the war in iraq is going great!"