Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 12:58 PM

Default getting crushed

I just recently started playing 2/4 and 3/6 games on on the internet. I am getting killed and it always seems to be someone on the river... someone different each time, but always someone going too far. Do some sites have better players than others? I have gone back to just reading my twoplustwo books and playing on my computer using TurboTexasHoldem. Anyone have any advice? I feel like I am playing proper strategy, but just getting bad luck.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:01 PM

Default Re: getting crushed

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like I am playing proper strategy, but just getting bad luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case, then the answer is simple: Just keep playing...

But if that's not the case you will have to give us some more details. Reading this forum and posting some hands is a good idea.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:04 PM

Not to sound unsympathetic, but from your post it's hard to tell what's going on. Maybe you've been unlucky. Maybe you suck [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Are you using Poker Tracker? This is an invaluable tool for somebody in your situation. Get PT, and start posting trouble hands.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:06 PM

If you think findinga game with better players will have you winning more money, you definately need to devote more time to study, and prolly drop some limits
Old 10-15-2004, 01:11 PM

It happens.

It also sounds like you just started playing online at the 2-4 level. Did you have a lot of live experience before that, or is this your first poker experience. If it is you first poker experience, I suspect you are getting crushed because you aren't very good yet. You would probably do better by playing lower, paying the tuition to get better at a lower limit, and coming back to 2-4 and 3-6 when you have the game to beat them.

You do realize that some people make their living by multitabling those games, so you have to be able to play with people that have some talent, and win before you can expect to win at that level. The talent level online isn't like home poker or even like comparable levels in live cardroom games.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:16 PM

I've played online for 4 and 1/2 months, and I've just started to dip my toe into playing Party 2/4. I'd suggest playing at Party .5/1 or lower limits if at other sites. I'd also look into bonus whoring poker sites - do a search on the Internet or Beginners 2+2 forums for more info on that.

Of course, keeping learning and improving your game, also.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:24 PM

It does happen sometimes...and sometimes sometimes seems like always. Play more and do your homework to find out where you are making errors.

The best thing I ever did for my game was (in order):

a) Moving to a limit that my bankroll easily supported.

When I first started playing, I played at a limit well beyond what I could feel comfortable losing given the very normal variations everyone experiences. This had very negative effects on my poker play (in particular, I wasn't as aggressive as I should have been, which was further compounded by a run of bad cards and good players). Since, I have moved down to $2/$4 and $3/$6 and my bankroll is built enough that I can withstand a bad run with almost little concern. It's nice to be able to play without care for the bad beat / bad run. Poker is so much easier to play when you are simply not concerned about the money; I'll wager you'll perform much better when you are not concerned.

b) Reading SSHE.

Seriously. My career earn rate has almost tripled in the past three months (15K hands). While I know I am running good and on an upward spike over a small number of hands, I can tell on a hand-by-hand basis when I make a great decision and a poor decision.

By your post, it looks like you may have already read it. If not, do so now. When I first found twoplustwo.com, I thought everyone was blowing smoke because the author frequents the site. They weren't. On the other hand, maybe SSHE seemed so great because I read it on the heels of Hellmuth's book.

c) Browsing this forum (sorry, guys, you come in third).

There's a wealth of knowledge here; if you can work past the sardonic nature of some of the posters, you should find it extremely beneficial. Actually, in a way, the sarcasm you'll encounter here is often good, as people will have no problem telling you when you've f'ed up.

Edit (forgot one):
d) Table Selection / Buddy List

Make use and find yourself a good table. You want to play against the people that are drawing out on you right now(seemingly constantly). They are the only thing making this game profitable, albeit not right now for you.

Best of luck in getting back on track - just don't take my money, please. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 01:36 PM

a) Moving to a limit that my bankroll easily supported.

Great advice.

b) Reading SSHE.

c) Browsing this forum (sorry, guys, you come in third).

I think if you browse the forum, then we do come in third. In SSHE, Ed has condensed and edited a lot of the play that gets advocated here. On the other hand, if you participate, I think that you will learn more here, than you would by reading the book.

Ed got his approach, by coming to this forum, and discussing poker with Clarkmeister, Dynasty, Jim Brier (Yes he used to post here), vehn, Andy B, Al Capone Jr (under a different name) and others. He might have been one of the better students of the SS forum, but a lot of what he learned and put in his book was discussed and developed right here. When I read his book, I thought that it was a great book, but there was nothing that I hadn't seen before, it was just that the most important things about beating loose games was collected and organized into one place.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:42 PM

Excellent!! Some have said what I expected.. but it looks like I need to get PokerTracker and read more on this forum. I think my biggest problem is my first table game in Vegas (4/8 Mandalay).. I sat down with no expectation and made a killing... it just seemed too easy... I expected things to get more difficult, but not quite like this. Thanks for the help.

I didn't understand the comment about player level. Is the internet generally harder or easier than a live table?
Old 10-15-2004, 07:00 PM

I didn't understand the comment about player level. Is the internet generally harder or easier than a live table?

The internet is much tougher than live at the same small stakes level. As you go up, the disparity becomes smaller.