Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:34 AM

Default AKs unimproved

PartyPoker 5/10 (10 players)
Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in UTG+1
Villain is UTG+2
Villain is on the maniac side of LAG, and loves bluffing. He bluffed me off top pair no kicker from the BB when I limped from SB, and showed me the 52s afterwards.

1 fold, Hero raises, Villain 3-bets, 7 folds, Hero caps, Villain calls.

Flop comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9.4 SB)
I'm sure even if he has nothing, he'll bet if I check to him, so betting and potentially folding to a raise will be cheaper than checkraising and folding to a 3-bet.
Hero bets, Villain calls.
Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5.7 BB)
As before, I know I'll be bet at if I check.
Hero bets, Villain calls.
The fact that I didn't get raised on the turn makes me think I really am ahead, or at least that Villan is afraid and might fold a better hand on the river if I bet again.
River: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (7.7 BB)
Hero bets, Villain raises immediately, as if he had checked the Bet/Raise button. I can't feel like the deuce helped him. If he turned ultra-passive when he actually had a pair, then more power to him, but given his record, I'm sure he's bluffing a lot more often than 1 in 11.7 times, but not enough that I'll be happy if I 3-bet and it comes back to me capped.
Hero calls.
Final pot: 11.7BB between Hero and Villain.

Was my line reasonable, or too LAG? Was there a point at which I should have checkraised, checkcalled, or checkfolded?
Old 10-15-2004, 03:07 AM

Default Re: AKs unimproved

I think your line was perfectly fine against this type of opponent. You're right; the 2 on the river didn't help him, so his river raise is awfully suspicious. Against the maniac, I would never lay this down with the board cards as they are and his characteristics. The only question was, is there value betting A high? Has he shown tendancies to call with lesser hands? Is me more apt to fold a busted hand or raise a busted hand?

I believe it's close between betting and calling a raise and check-calling trying to induce a bluff. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.

Garland
Old 10-15-2004, 03:16 AM

Villain shows down QQ..

If he is as loose as you say, and if he is as bad a player as you describe him - the type who would raise the river with nothing, I'd call him down. But, he might actually have something this time, since he is so afraid that you'll fold if he does anything but call..
Old 10-15-2004, 04:29 AM

The line I have been taking against this sort of player is to check behind them on the river, for exactly this reason

I played a similar hand agaisnt a similar player last night, I had 7's and isolated against him pre flop, overcards came on the flop I kept betting to till the river then checked behind him, basically I do this if I think my hand is best but I am not 100% sure and I cant stand a raise, this type of player will call if they have a piece of the flop (better or worse than yours)and generally fold if they have nothing so I dont think I am leaving moneu on the table.

I dont think this line will be liked by many here but these players you really never know where you are and I prefer seeing a showdown than giving them a chance to bluff correctly when I dont like to call. If I have Aces or a hand I am sure is a winner then I dont mind the bluff and will bet out.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:41 AM

Depending on how much of a LAG he is, I don't like these thoughts I'm sure even if he has nothing, he'll bet if I check to him, so betting and potentially folding to a raise will be cheaper than checkraising and folding to a 3-bet.

and I would have check/called the river, because a bet from him is likely even if you are ahead.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:27 AM

I would have checked-called the turn and river because you can't fold to a raise and he'll value bet your AKs for you.

Your hand can only beat a bluff, and you have an opponent who is very likely to bluff, probably won't call with a worse hand and won't raise a worse hand that often. Check-call.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:23 AM

The answer to the hand is right here:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure even if he has nothing, he'll bet if I check to him

[/ QUOTE ]
Check-call, check-call, check-call, showdown.

This is the standard way to play a weak made hand against a maniac.

The problem with betting any street is you have no reasonable plan for dealing with the likely raise. You don't want to put extra bets in with such a weak hand, but you can't fold because he is likely to be bluffing.