Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Good use of overcalls?

Wondering about my attempt at overcalls in this situation. My usual inclination is be more aggressive.

This is the only hand I played with UTG.
68 hands with CO: 55% VP$IP 0%PFR .42 AF (without pre-flop)
17 hands with UTG+1: 70% VP$IP 5.8%PFR 1.04 AF

PokerRoom 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 14.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14.75 BB, between Hero, CO, UTG and UTG+1.</font>
Old 10-15-2004, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Good use of overcalls?

I probably wouldn't go for the overcalls here, going by how weak the players behind are. Calling wins you two extra bets (plus the original bet) assuming they both call.

But, if you think that one will call the raise then a raise is probably better, especially if you think you have the bettor beat (which you should). Since that's an extra 2 bets for the caller and an extra one from UTG+1. If both call the raise = Happy times [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2004, 03:48 AM

You should just raise the flop here. If you did, you probably wouldn't have this river situation.

I don't think I would go for overcalls here. What will they overcall with? Besides the queens, the board is very ragged. However, I'm not great with overcalls, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 10-15-2004, 04:52 AM

were you planning to raise the turn, but then it was checked to you?
Old 10-15-2004, 05:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
were you planning to raise the turn, but then it was checked to you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I was as scared of the flush draw as I should have been. I had trips and wanted to keep as many people calling as I could. I don't know if I would have raised the turn if bet into. Probably not, since I had the same situation on the river, and I wasn't concerned about A5 or 56.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:28 AM

i dunno. i think i raise somewhere along the way. most likely starting with the flop, as it is very easy for flush draws to be out there. they WILL pay 2 bets to see another card. sometimes, people will call with ace high, thinking they have a clean out(even with horrible odds). perhaps at a higher limit this would be useful, but i prefer to get the same amount of bets in there with less people involved. i think if you had a crappy kicker, i would also be more inclined to use your line. the only problem with me saying i don't like your line is that it won you a fairly large pot without having to put much at risk. i am still working on when to use overcalls, so maybe you should wait for better posters to help you.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:25 PM

Default Results

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG has Th Ah (one pair, queens).
UTG+1 has Qs 8s (three of a kind, queens).
Hero has Kc Qd (three of a kind, queens).
CO has Jd Jh (two pair, queens and jacks).
Outcome: Hero wins 14.75 BB. </font>
Old 10-16-2004, 06:17 PM

I'd raise the flop because of the 2-flush. You're probably not going to chase anyone on the flush draw, but if they're chasing the flush you make money on their calls.

If there's no flush draw on the flop I probably call the flop hoping to raise the turn. But then again, I slowplay too much.

I'd raise the river. I'm not terribly worried about A5 or 56 here, and I feel like more often than not I'm going to win this hand. Raise for value.

-Brian