Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 06:22 PM

Default Deep stack theory

Tomorrow night I'm playing in a 5-10 NL game at the club where I usually play 1-2 NL. I know almost all of the players and play with them routinely in the smaller game. In any event, the club has set a min buy-in of $1000 and a max buy of $3000 (100 and 300 BBs, respectively).

It is my understanding that most players will probably buy in for the max, as I will. I expect to see between $20K and $30K on the table at any time, while a 1-2 table rarely sees more than $1500 in play. The stacks will be significantly deeper than those in the 1-2 game, where the average stack routinely is somewhere around 50 BBs. On occasion, one player might have more than 250 or 300 BBs in his stack (a couple hours after the game has started), but rarely if ever will more than one person be so deep.

Here's my question: as a matter of general theory, how should the increased depth affect my overall strategy?

I would hazard a guess that Axs will be worth a call more often, suited connectors will likely be more valuable, etc etc. Having said that, "draws are death" and a player can be charged much more heavily than in a game with shallow stacks. I also anticipate seeing less pre-flop all-ins (obviously; few people will push for say 2500 more with perhaps 200 in the pot), which will require more skillful post-flop play with big pairs and the like.

Any commentary is welcome. Again, I know it's difficult to give sweeping suggestions without reference to hand specifics, but I'm looking for general theoretical concepts here.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Deep stack theory

My humble opinion is that if you are asking these types of questions, you may not want to put $3000 on the table in that game.

Good luck nontheless.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:28 PM

REPLIES: 1

USEFUL CONTRIBUTION: ZERO

Thanks anyway, helpful M/HS P/NL poster!
Old 10-14-2004, 06:33 PM

I completely agree with Wayfare.

but yeah, obviously suited connectors and pairs go up in value, but i wouldnt play many suited connectors up front.

good luck

fsuplayer (yet another helpful M/HS P/NL poster!)
Old 10-14-2004, 06:44 PM

agreed - this is pretty basic stuff you are asking. I wouldn't feel at ALL safe with $3000 on the table, and I think I have a better understanding of some of the concepts you are asking about.

but again, good luck.

-SmileyEH
Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
REPLIES: 1

USEFUL CONTRIBUTION: ZERO

Thanks anyway, helpful M/HS P/NL poster!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wayfare's advice is probably the most useful advice he could possibly give. If you don't know how to play a deepstack at that level, why donate your money to that game?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:50 PM

I disagree with you both. In this capped buy in era many players have learned the game, and learned it well, playing nothing but 50 or 100 maxBB games. This player posted a question that was well thought out and reasonable and I think he came to the right place. That is if people were as quick to post poker content as they were to criticize.

Anyway, onto the post.

The biggest trap you want to avoid is overvaluing big cards and big pairs. Unless you can get a healthy portion of your stack in preflop with AA or you trip up you should not be going to the felt with it very often.

Hands like AK and AQ are more valuable to draw to the straight than they are as TPTK. You're not going to get paid off with top pair when someone has AJ like you would in a 50BB game.

Your best bet to do well in a game like this is to be observant and look for players who give their hands away. If you know someone has AA it can be correct to call with any two cards in order to try and bust him/her. Play small pairs for a raise, consider mucking AK out of position to a raise or play it as a draw to 2-pair or better. In short, always be aware, when you make a raise or call how much money you're willing to commit to the hand.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:50 PM

I may have written something in my earlier post to give the impression that I am somehow new to no-limit, inexperienced, and generally clueless. Such is not the case. I am, however, relatively inexperienced at playing with such deep stacks (more precisely, at a table where ALL players are deep). THIS IS THE POINT OF THE POST. I'm a solid no-limit player; I simply want commentary on how to IMPROVE my play in a game with deep money. My best and most aggressive play tends to come at times when I'M deep-stacked, but I was hoping for more advice on adjustments to make when my opponents are comparably deep.

I posted this question in the hopes that it might develop into a useful and interesting exchange of opinions, not a baseless evaluation of my qualifications for playing at the level that I choose.

fsuplayer: however obvious it may be, I probably invited the sort of reply you've given. Thanks for the advice, though, as it was at the very least a sincere effort to contribute.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
agreed - this is pretty basic stuff you are asking. I wouldn't feel at ALL safe with $3000 on the table, and I think I have a better understanding of some of the concepts you are asking about.

but again, good luck.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not share your better understanding?
Old 10-14-2004, 06:55 PM

TheGrifter: thanks! Exactly what I was looking for.