Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2004, 03:56 PM

Default KJo UTG - How many mistakes did I make?

Hello,
Please give me advice on this hand - I am not sure I did anything right at any time.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

So, generally I have been following SSHE by the book using the "tight" (3-5 players see the flop) guidelines as that fits the tables I have been on. I had just joined the table a few hands ago and have no read on the BB except that he does not seem to be a maniac.

Generally I wouldn't call KJo in UTG - I just lost discipline and called it here. The fact that I was then heads-up against a raiser shows me why that is not such a good idea (although if I was in late position it would have ended up the same, I guess).

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

So this is kind of a mixed bag. I hit the flop, and have a straight draw, but now there are 2 hearts out there. I raised to see if the BB had 2 high cards and missed, but in retrospect it seems that any 2 high cards will hit or have a straight or draw. So now I am thinking raising might not have been so smart. Also, a high pair has me dominated.

Turn: (4.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Now that my hand is better I was less aggressive - this hand had me confused. It occured to me that the BB might have a pocket pair of Ks or Js, so I did not want to 3-bet. Or a Q would give him a straight.

River: (8.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

The river was a blank and I just decided to check through and see where I was. The previous check-raises made me think that betting was a bad idea and I could be behind to a straight or set.

So - what should I have done instead (aside from maybe folding KJo in early position)?
Old 10-14-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: KJo UTG - How many mistakes did I make?

Other than the preflop fold, you need to bet this river. I can't remember the last time someone checkraised me on both the turn and river. Call if he raises.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:48 PM

PF - you already know, bad call.

Flop - The raise is fine. Very few hands will fold to your raise, that's OK. The point is that you probably have the best hand at this point.

Turn - You played it fine. (Incidentally I'd be more worried about a Q than JJ or KK here.)

River - Bizarre play by BB. Who knows what it means, but he's showing weakness and you've got a good hand, you should bet.
Old 10-14-2004, 04:55 PM

Other than the PF mistake, bet the river and call a raise.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:42 AM

Default Results

BB had AA, and my 2 pair hold up. Should have bet the river as folks have said.