FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: PP 3/6 SSH or HEPFAP
SSH 26 52.00%
HEPFAP 2 4.00%
Something in between/it varies 22 44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-14-2004, 05:19 AM

Default Libertarian Poll !

Suppose there are two choices you are forced to make. Between choice A, which means higher taxes and more individual freedoms & civil rights and choice B which means lower taxes and less individual freedoms & civil rights.

What would you choose?
Old 10-14-2004, 05:50 AM

Default Hobson\'s Choice

What good is money if your freedom to use it disappears?

What good is freedom if you can't afford your choices?

But of course, you undervalue the freedom of a worker to keep his income.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Libertarian Poll !

How in the name of little green apples did you derive that choice??

How about making the choices as follows:

A) More taxes, less individual freedoms and civil rights

B) Less taxes, more individual freedoms and civil rights

which more accurately reflects the reality of the situation.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How in the name of little green apples did you derive that choice??

How about making the choices as follows:

A) More taxes, less individual freedoms and civil rights

B) Less taxes, more individual freedoms and civil rights

which more accurately reflects the reality of the situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way.

The right is allways the party of increased government authority and intrusion into personal life choices such as abortion, drugs etc. However it also seeks to cut taxes.

I dont know about the Republicans, but in the UK the conservatives are seen as the Law and Order party. My impresion is that this is mirrored in the USA as Prison populations typicaly increase under republican governments.

The left whilst increasing taxes is often more liberal about who you marry, abortions, drugs etc and is more traditionaly concerned with increasing the basic civil rights of individuals that have had there civil right inhibited by gender, race or religion.

Libertarians dont seem to care as much about this as they do about taxes.

I think the most accurate question would be:

1. Do you prefer a faith based subjective value orientated authoritarian low tax Government.

2. Do you prefer a high tax government based on rational principles emrging from the renainsance and the enlightnement.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:28 AM

Government should always do what its people ask for, right or wrong.

If there is a reason why the people are wrong, it is up the the government to change their minds.

Period.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No way.

The right is allways the party of increased government authority and intrusion into personal life choices such as abortion, drugs etc. However it also seeks to cut taxes.

I dont know about the Republicans, but in the UK the conservatives are seen as the Law and Order party. My impresion is that this is mirrored in the USA as Prison populations typicaly increase under republican governments.

The left whilst increasing taxes is often more liberal about who you marry, abortions, drugs etc and is more traditionaly concerned with increasing the basic civil rights of individuals that have had there civil right inhibited by gender, race or religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not talking about political parties here. If that's what Cyrus is getting at maybe he should have asked which party Libertarians would prefer if asked to choose between Republican and Democrat.

Higher, or more, taxes generally requires more instrusive governance. For instance in order to implement an income tax, the government must pry into how much money you make.

Additionally, if you keep more of your earnings due to less taxation, you have more personal choices as to what to spend your money on, and more personal choices goes hand in hand to more personal freedom in my opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
Libertarians dont seem to care as much about this as they do about taxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Libertarians tend to think the approaches of both the Democratic and Republican parties are inherently flawed.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the most accurate question would be:

1. Do you prefer a faith based subjective value orientated authoritarian low tax Government.

2. Do you prefer a high tax government based on rational principles emrging from the renainsance and the enlightnement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer a government that tries to assure our basic rights to life, liberty and personal property, and conducts necessary affairs such as doing business with foreign powers and defending against foreign military aggression. The federal government may also have some valid business in maintaining certain necessary infrastructures, such as the national superhighway system in the USA.

In short I prefer a low-tax non-authoritarian government which mostly leaves people alone and does not try to engineer their lives for them. Instead the focus is on protecting fundamental liberties from usurpation by others (or by governmment) so that people can be free to engineer their own lives.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:08 AM

I think what you say is true to a point, but it is absolutely essential to also have a Constitution which limits powers and potential abuses even if the people ask for them.

For instance, I would think the U.S. Constitution would prevent the people from successfully voting to exterminate the Jews, even if that were what the majority of the people wanted.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:26 AM

The trend I observe is for libertarians to be more severe in there attacks on the traditional left for its tax policies but less critical of the right for its authoratarian stance on life choices.

Often before a poster clearly states there libertarian stance and if one is having to make assumptions based on there posts they come across as strongly republican.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:26 PM

All I can say is, you're wrong.

Go read the platform.

And by the way, the leftist democrats are stronger drug warriors than the republicans. Clinton grew the drug war more than any previous prez and Kerry is a huge asset forfeiture guy. Thanks to the left, the drug war has gone out of control.

But you're right, the impression a lot of poeple have is that the left is more liberal about drugs, but nothing could be further from the truth.

natedogg
Old 10-14-2004, 12:36 PM

Obviously I forgot the religous right is so approving of gay marriage and abortion.