Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Quads Dilemma

Before getting into the hand in question, and in turn the theory, I just want to make it clear that I'm aware this isn't a true high stakes hand but I felt like I would receive much better responses from the readers in this area of the forum that in small stakes.

I have been sitting at the table for a while and have been playing fairly wild, having to show down some winners that I would not like to be seen usually. UTG has been sitting almost the entire time I have but he bought in for the minimum and hasn't done much, therefore I have no read on him.

Onto the hand:

Poker Stars 1/2 NL

Hero UTG+1, ~350 behind, K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain UTG ~80 behind
BB has about 220 behind

UTG limps, Hero raises to $10 <font color="red"> </font> , BB calls 8, UTG calls 8

Pot = $31

FLOP: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $16 <font color="red"> </font> , BB folds, UTG calls $16

POT = 63 dollars

River: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG checks...

Now the thought has certainly entered my head that the villain might have the case 5, but I certainly am not going to give him much credit for it in this spot. I also thought AA was a possibility on an intended limpraise, but being as I was the raiser he may have thought he could extract the maximum from me by cashing in on my aggressiveness. Having made the lock on the river I think for a while and decide to put him in for his last ~$50.

My question(s) is this: What would your move be on the river in this situation and also in a situation where stack sizes were equal and/or he had me covered?

Comments on the preflop, flop and turn lines are also appreciated.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Quads Dilemma

why did you check the flop??? bet every street... double him up if he has the case 5...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:09 PM

Pot the flop, if the guy with 80 calls push on the turn. You are only behind AA and the case 5, as the case may be.

This of course belongs in the small stakes forum, and I think you would get the same responses there that you'll get here, but people would probably be nicer in SS than in this forum. If the hand is interesting I'm sure they'll respond, as they lurk in the SS as well.

cya
C
Old 10-13-2004, 11:14 PM

He isnt even behind AA, he has Kings full, not 5's full.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He isnt even behind AA, he has Kings full, not 5's full.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the river he has the non 5 nuts. To clarify I meant that on the flop and turn he was behind AA and the case 5, and my line of betting would have the villian all in before the river.

Thx,
C
Old 10-14-2004, 08:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG has been sitting almost the entire time I have but he bought in for the minimum and hasn't done much, therefore I have no read on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read what you wrote. Based on the data available, you should have a read.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why did you check the flop??? bet every street... double him up if he has the case 5...

[/ QUOTE ]

i like the flop check. only a PP or 5 will play with you if you bet the flop, but if you check, anyone who makes a pair will think their hand is the nuts. you're likely giving someone a free draw to their Ax (3 outs) but so be it. there's not so much in the pot on the flop that you're dying to pick it up at the expense of trying to break the 220 guy.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:17 PM

Hi lenny,

There's no good reason to post this hand in High Stakes. I shouldn't encourage it by replying, but too late.

There is really no dilemma in this hand, given the small stack of your opponent. I would've probably checked the flop, too, even though you've been bluffing a lot. It's too easy for them to fold on the flop.

Once he calls $16, you can safely put him all-in, whether you hit the K or not. He'll call, and you shouldn't worry about being beaten. If you are, you still must double him up.

The fact that your post asks, "Am I ahead?" as opposed to, "How much should I try to extract from him?" shows that you are more suited to the Small Stakes Forum right now.

If the stacks were equal, bet as much as you think he'll call--I'd go about 150% of the pot, since you've been bluffing a lot and he's called you once. A bet of less than 75% of the pot will look like you want to be called--I'd go for the gusto. Obviously, call all raises.