Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2004, 01:56 AM

Default Did I really play this that badly?

The loser of the hand berated me until I had to mute him/her. (Most likely a him, with the things it was saying.)
This was my second beat of this person, first was me with QQ and it with AK or AJ with an ace on the flop, but a Q on the turn. (I was all in pre flop)

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed)

Button (t17216)
SB (t46468)
BB (t90148)
UTG (t5118)
UTG+1 (t19374)
MP1 (t33809)
Nixonld (t29130)
MP3 (t14745)
CO (t11025)

Preflop: Nixonld is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls t800, Nixonld calls t800, MP3 folds, CO calls t800, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t4000) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets t3200</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Nixonld raises to t12000</font>, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t45618</font>, BB folds, Nixonld calls t16280 (All-In).

Turn: (t81098) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t81098) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t81098
Old 10-12-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Did I really play this that badly?

All you had was middle pair, right? Not sure what you're doing calling preflop, not sure what you're doing raising on the flop unless you think you can steal, and I have no idea why you called the all-in. What exactly were you thinking when you did all of this?
Old 10-12-2004, 05:38 AM

I don't think the limp from MP is horrible with a4 suited.

Note on the flop you're against two people....the initial raise after the BB bet really depends on what type of people the sb and bb are...and given that they're not horrible, i really don't think you should've called the all in. Such a low mid pair on such a connected board is really beaten by so many hands. (i.e. final hand of the 2004 WSOP main event)

Furthermore, raising so high (4x the inital bet and half your stack) commits yourself to a pot you really don't know if you can win. Doubling the bet (around 7000) would accomplish anything you wanted to do with a raise, and also would allow you the option of folding to an all-in.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:24 AM

On the flop the BB is betting out with 3 opponents still to act. He most likely has something better than you. Calling all-in with middle pair is just... ugh.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:47 AM

The limp is fine. This is not your ideal flop. You should be folding this every time. When you limp w/ A4s, you either want to flop a flush draw or 2 pair. Pairing your 4 is not ideal.

You know, at first I was gonna try to make a case for calling the all-in, but when I typed it out, I realized it was a really weak case. There's way too good a chance that you're in some pretty awful shape and even a chance you're drawing to runner-runner. Fold to the all in. You leave yourself w/ 20 BB, which is plenty to play with.

"Most likely a him, with the things it was saying." This was funny though.

Gavin Griffin
Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 AM

This is a very read dependent play. There are times when you've got a player so well figured out that you know that he will bet low ragged flops like this one to represent flopping the straight. A lot of poor players have this idea that everyone assumes that the BB is always crappy low cards. You get this same kind of move when the board pairs low. The same players always bet out into the field when they have nothing because they assume that a bunch of limpers have high cards and that they can now represent low ones. These same players will almost always slow play when they do hit the flop, looking to check raise if it's a monster, or chase down two pair if they only catch a piece.

So if you have this sort of read on a player this isn't necessarily a bad play.