Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2004, 02:09 PM

Default 15/30 KTs big-ish pot... messed up a street?

There is one street on this one that I am unsure of. Other than that I think I played it OK and got a little lucky too:

Live 15/30 9 handed at the moment. Real good game...all passive straight-forward play to this point.

3 limpers and I raise in the CO with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The button and both blinds call and we are fixing to play a pot....

Flop (7 players, 14 SB): Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
All check to the MP player to my right who bets. I raise, folded around to the BB who calls. Folded to MP bettor who 3-bets, I call, BB calls.

Turn (3 players, 11.5 BB): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])
BB checks, MP Flop 3-bettor checks (??), I bet. BB calls, MP check-raises ( [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I guess he has a set after all), I call, BB calls.

River (3 players, 17.5 BB): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img])

BB checks, MP bets, I raise, BB folds, MP calls.

I think this hand is pretty standard but I was wondering if I should have taken the free card on the turn with all of my outs. I ended up getting lucky but I had to pay an extra BB for it and didn't quite have enough outs to bet for value.

Thanks in advance,
-tpir
Old 10-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Default Re: 15/30 KTs big-ish pot... messed up a street?

The flop raise is a mistake -- just call. Given your hand, keeping players in is far preferable to the speculative "cleaning up your outs."

I'd also say the preflop raise is borderline at best.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:21 PM

The preflop raise is a bit too loose aggressive for my taste. KTs? With 3 people in the pot already, your hand probably wasn't even the best starting hand. Pretty good chance not even the second best. Nevertheless, since you decided to play it, the only play I agree with was the bet on the river. At that point, it's pretty much a no brainer.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:30 PM

Are you advocating folding KTs pre-flop in late position in a loose-passive game?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:54 PM

despite the whines to the contrary I think cleaning up your K outs has value here and the possibility of the free turn card. Given that you have a minimum of 10 outs on the turn now... I dunno. I'd probably bet and regret it while playing the hand.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:56 PM

3 limpers, 2 suited broadways in the CO, chance to buy the button. Easy raise.
Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM

i thought raising the flop was a good idea for K clean-up/free card reasons.... but if i was going to do that, then i definitely should have taken the free card on the turn. MP was reaching for chips as he checked to me which is usually a sign that he doesn't want to call a bet. but as soon as i said "bet" i knew i messed up in a very fundamental way. anyway, turns out MP was reaching because he was getting ready to check-raise my stupid a$$. i filed that one away for this guy.