Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Paul Phillips, Legends of Poker

Just watched this repeat on the Travel Channel. Paul, you made a couple laydowns you knew you'd hate to see on TV later. And then you made the ass-end straight call at the HU to end it. Several months later, how do you feel now about your play in last year's Legends of Poker?

-Z
Old 10-11-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Paul Phillips, Legends of Poker

i'm sure the deal he made had something to do w/ his final hand play.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:32 AM

The queens hand wasn't THAT bad of a laydown. Calling the straight on the end, he's already commented about this. Given the circumstances, he calls there 25% of the time. He was sorry that he didn't happen to land in the other 75%.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure the deal he made had something to do w/ his final hand play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. A while ago somebody made a comment about a poor play made while heads up in some big televised tourney and said that there was probably a deal made and Paul berated them (suprise) for thinking that the players don't want to win as much given that they've already secured a payday.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:57 AM

Maybe Paul commented on this somewhere else, but you hear him say "may have missed the flush" when going thru the possibilities. When Mel Judah showed the successful bluff earlier, it set this hand up perfectly for Mel. I dont think Mel's top straight is so obvious when in context, so not sure why its so ridiculed. Why not ask Sam Farha if he wishes he called Moneymaker's missed flush bluff?
Old 10-11-2004, 02:20 AM

Hadn't thought of that (play influenced by a prior deal), but I thought Paul said on the show that money is not what drives him to play.

-Z
Old 10-11-2004, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think Mel's top straight is so obvious when in context, so not sure why its so ridiculed. Why not ask Sam Farha if he wishes he called Moneymaker's missed flush bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to ridicule the play. I was just curious if, a year later, he still likes his play at that tournament. He certainly did well, but on the broadcast, he seemed to acknowledge that he made a lot of questionable decisions, and the results would speak for themselves.

-Z
Old 10-13-2004, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think Mel's top straight is so obvious when in context, so not sure why its so ridiculed. Why not ask Sam Farha if he wishes he called Moneymaker's missed flush bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to ridicule the play. I was just curious if, a year later, he still likes his play at that tournament. He certainly did well, but on the broadcast, he seemed to acknowledge that he made a lot of questionable decisions, and the results would speak for themselves.

-Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, did not mean to imply that you ridiculed it. Mike Sexton did on the broadcast (knowing the cards!), and other posters elsewhere have followed suit (pun intended). [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2004, 10:44 AM

So when would he have made the deal? On break or something? Just wondering because I know the WPT does not allow deal making.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:02 AM

WPT doesnt allow deal making BECAUSE of Paul and Mel, no?