Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2004, 05:23 PM

Default Big Decision, A Jo:( $3 rebuys) Satellite $250,000 Guaranteed

i'm playing under my girlfriend's username (ReighnStorm), blind levels 600/1200 with 75 ante. i'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in mid to late position. the BB player is an up and down LAG player and the limper is an OK player who had'nt been in too many hands since i got to the table. i raise 3XBB to 3600 not looking to see anyone limp at this stage and see a cheap flop. everyone folds to the limper who calls the extra 2400. although i miss the flop, i do catch a board with straight possibilities that compliments my Jack (a 10 completes) plus two spades. ok villian then bets 3600 into a pot of 9675, which i thought was pretty small. i felt the price was small enough to invest so i did. the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] then hits on the turn giving me top pair with a good kicker and one card to the flush. ok villian then bets all-in into a pot of 16875. DAMN! i whiff a foul smell up through my nostils. CRAP! i am now not so confident in my TP/GK with one card to a flush. if the guy has A Ko with the King being a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , i'm in a world of hurt. if ok villian already has a flush, i'll need a spade on the river (preferably the King) to win. comments please and what's your call? results later.

------------------------------------------------------------

PokerStars Game #758106553: Tournament #2876721, Hold'em No Limit - Level XI
(600/1200) - 2004/10/10 - 02:52:38 (ET)
Table '2876721 59' Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: WOstriker (39774 in chips)
Seat 2: LarryBh (116680 in chips)
Seat 3: digidog (32060 in chips)
Seat 4: SlickGoody (9880 in chips)
Seat 5: CSSVIVOR (53209 in chips)
Seat 6: JoeKewl (14187 in chips)
Seat 7: ReighnStorm (59572 in chips)
Seat 8: 420 ToKeNs (16235 in chips)
Seat 9: zonechef (69190 in chips)
WOstriker: posts the ante 75
LarryBh: posts the ante 75
digidog: posts the ante 75
SlickGoody: posts the ante 75
CSSVIVOR: posts the ante 75
JoeKewl: posts the ante 75
ReighnStorm: posts the ante 75
420 ToKeNs: posts the ante 75
zonechef: posts the ante 75
LarryBh: posts small blind 600
digidog: posts big blind 1200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to ReighnStorm [Ah Js]
SlickGoody: folds
CSSVIVOR: calls 1200
JoeKewl: folds
ReighnStorm: raises 2400 to 3600
420 ToKeNs: folds
zonechef: folds
WOstriker: folds
LarryBh: folds
digidog: folds
CSSVIVOR: calls 2400
*** FLOP *** [Qs 8d 9s]
CSSVIVOR: bets 3600
ReighnStorm: calls 3600
*** TURN *** [Qs 8d 9s] [As]
CSSVIVOR: bets 45934 and is all-in
Old 10-10-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Re: Big Decision, A Jo:( $3 rebuys) Satellite $250,000 Guaranteed

I'd have folded this PF after a tight player called in front, or limped it then folded on the flop (which is completely worthless for you, because *any* two cards he holds at this point beat you.)

You post a lot of these 'what would you do?' hands in the SNG forum, and every time the answer is the same: you're playing far too LAG.

BTW, I put him on either AQ, a set or a made straight trying to protect itself from a spade draw, with an outside chance of a QJ or KsQ, pair+draw type hand.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:02 PM

Default me playing far too LAG...

i've never caught that from the responses to my hand posts. hmmmmm, that's a first. i always thought it was the other way around. most often times, i had the best hand and got sucked out on by an inferior one. "me playing far too LAG", i wonder why you would say that?
Old 10-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Ah,Aj - is a very modest hand in ep... i would have also dumped this preflop. but since you played it, the discussion goes on....
Old 10-10-2004, 06:11 PM

Default Re: me playing far too LAG...

Maybe LAG's the wrong term, but your posts always fall under two categories:

1)You raise inferior hands in situations that don't quite call for it

2)You call hands you have absolutely no business calling because 'the price is right', often against bigger stacks. Occasionally, you mix this up with a checkraise with something like top pair weak kicker or middle pair.

This stuff works in the really low limit Party tourneys where nobody ever folds TT when the flop has a K and a Q in it, but it gets you eaten alive ever so slightly higher.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah,Aj - is a very modest hand in ep... i would have also dumped this preflop. but since you played it, the discussion goes on....

[/ QUOTE ]

actually i was in late middle or late position #1. there were two players to my left on my side of the table , then the SB and BB on the right (opposite)side of the table.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:18 PM

sorry, misread that. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] still wouldn't play it though, unless it was suited.
Old 10-10-2004, 06:25 PM

Default adanthar, i think you must have the wrong person...

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe LAG's the wrong term, but your posts always fall under two categories:

1)You raise inferior hands in situations that don't quite call for it

2)You call hands you have absolutely no business calling because 'the price is right', often against bigger stacks. Occasionally, you mix this up with a checkraise with something like top pair weak kicker or middle pair.

This stuff works in the really low limit Party tourneys where nobody ever folds TT when the flop has a K and a Q in it, but it gets you eaten alive ever so slightly higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) find a posts of mine where i'm constantly raising with inferior hands in situations where it does'nt call for it and...

2) i hardly ever use the term 'calling because the price is or was right'. you'll be hard pressed to find a post of mine where i was calling by your definition, especially against bigger stacks. most of the threads that i've authored where i checkraised, i had Top Pair/Top Kicker and the other player was the one who, playing LAG with Top Pair/Weak Kicker, often caught their card on the river. almost all of my checkraises were on the turn with the best hand. if you read those posts very clearly, you would've noticed that almost everytime i checked on the river sensing my opponent had caught their card, then folded to a healthy river bet. in almost all those instances, the other player showed their hands, revealing their river catches.

maybe you need to go back and research some of my posts because you're way off with your assertion.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:46 PM

Default Results...

i decided to call the all-in.

------------------------------------------------------------

ReighnStorm: calls 45934
*** RIVER *** [Qs 8d 9s As] [6s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
CSSVIVOR: shows [Qc Ac] (two pair, Aces and Queens)
ReighnStorm: shows [Ah Js] (a flush, Ace high)
ReighnStorm collected 108743 from pot
digidog said, "ouch"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 108743 | Rake 0
Board [Qs 8d 9s As 6s]
Seat 1: WOstriker (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: LarryBh (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 3: digidog (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 4: SlickGoody folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: CSSVIVOR showed [Qc Ac] and lost with two pair, Aces and Queens
Seat 6: JoeKewl folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: ReighnStorm showed [Ah Js] and won (108743) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 8: 420 ToKeNs folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 9: zonechef folded before Flop (didn't bet)

needless to say, i went on to win my 2nd ever entry via satellite into the $200 + $15 $250,000 Guaranteed event.
Old 10-10-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Results...

The AA hand was just a bad beat story I didn't bother commenting on. (Of course, if people call an all in with 53o, why would you minraise? Go all in.)

This, on the other hand, *is* a prime example of a hand you never had any business being in. You got suckered in all the way, limping a dominated hand behind a guy you knew was tight, calling a 1/3 pot sized bet with a gutshot and a 50k, tournament-ending bet as a 4:1 dog. You do this type of stuff all the time, but then moan at the people who call giant all ins with the second best hand, then suck out on you.

lol.