Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2004, 01:35 AM

Default Which Bush Policies Have Led to Job Losses in the U.S. Economy ?

This ought to be interesting. I would think that the ABB faction proponents could rattle them off quickly. I honestly don't know which policies people believe have brought about the job losses.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Which Bush Policies Have Led to Job Losses in the U.S. Economy ?

Seriously, what can the president do to stop job losses? I feel that if you want to critique Bush on the economy, the deficit is by far the most glaring hole.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, what can the president do to stop job losses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question but I think the question begs an answer since it's a Democratic party talking point and many on this forum have knocked Bush repeatedly for the job losses in the economy. I think it's a fair question that I ask.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel that if you want to critique Bush on the economy, the deficit is by far the most glaring hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

As the budget deficit has increased in the Bush administration, the number of jobs created in the ecnomony has increased as well. Correlation or causation? If you're stating it's the budget deficit then it's duely noted. I appreciate your having the gumption to provide your thoughts.

BTW the Democrats have repeatedly lied about it being the biggest budget deficit in history. It's not when measured as a percentage of GDP, it's not even close to the biggest and it's silly not look at the deficit as a percentage of GDP.
Old 10-09-2004, 02:36 AM

One guys opinion

http://www.slate.com/id/2106372
Old 10-09-2004, 03:05 AM

Again the number of jobs created in the economy has increased since the accelerated depreciation laws were passed by Congress. In fact the pickup in hiring came on the heals of the enactment of the accelerated depreciation laws in 2003. The Wall Street Journal online had a graph of the number of jobs in the economy during the Bush administration yesterday. The graph clearly shows that the number of jobs bottomed in June of 2003, right around the time the acclerated depreciation initiatives were passed. Correlation or causation?

The article is terrible and I point to one paragraph that typifies the author's misconceptions:

[ QUOTE ]
The thinking behind the move? If more companies moved up orders and purchase decisions for trucks, machinery, and computers, that would create jobs for manufacturers and subcontractors and for the people who build, deliver, and install the goods. What's more, companies would then have to hire people to run and maintain all those new machines.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong. It wasn't to hire more people making capital goods, it was to increase capital investment which leads to higher economic growth which leads to more jobs being created. We're seeing higher economic growth and there is no doubt that it has led to more jobs being created in the economy.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:08 AM

Well, i'm really no expert on the subject, but first off, didn't Bush SAY he would create jobs before AND after he was elected? The burden of proof as to why they're not there seems to be on him, not us.

Aside from that, it seems to me that if you allow corporations to outsource jobs to other countries and do not give them incentive to HAVE US employees, seems to me that costs us jobs.

Couse, if Kerry puts a tariff on non U.S. made goods sold in the US by US companies, he's raising taxes again, huh?

Quite the vicious circle.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, i'm really no expert on the subject, but first off, didn't Bush SAY he would create jobs before AND after he was elected? The burden of proof as to why they're not there seems to be on him, not us.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember what he stated but that's not the question I asked. There's no burden of proof, I'm asking a simple, direct question that should be answerable directly. MaxPower came up with an answer but the data doesn't support the arguement. Methinks you're trying to change the subject.

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from that, it seems to me that if you allow corporations to outsource jobs to other countries and do not give them incentive to HAVE US employees, seems to me that costs us jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Bush did put a tariff on imported steel to protect the U.S. steel industry as an example and the U.S. had to rescind the tarrifs due to violating the World Trade Organization agreements.

Generally speaking it's more or less accepted that protective tarrifs tend to stifle economic growth and economic growth is what creates jobs. My understanding is the net effect of outsourcing is relatively minor in terms of jobs actually lost. The U.S. has been moving towards free trade long before Bush was in office as Clinton was a strong proponent of free trade. I don't know what it actually would take to rescind U.S. trade agreements. Kerry has stated that he'll review all U.S. trade agreements and enforce environmental and safety standards in other countries per the agreements so we may see things change on that front if Kerry's elected. The bottom line is that if you protect one industry or one group of workers from having their jobs outsourced, their fellow citizens are being asked to subsidize their employment due to the fact that they'll pay higher prices for those goods and services which tends to dampen economic activity which tends to dampen economic growth which will hinder job creation. I'll put you down for advocating protectionism as something George Bush has not implemented as a policy. BTW Herbert Hoover implemented protective tarrifs, raised taxes, and sought to reign in government spending.

[ QUOTE ]
Couse, if Kerry puts a tariff on non U.S. made goods sold in the US by US companies, he's raising taxes again, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

More or less.

[ QUOTE ]
Quite the vicious circle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad to see that you recognize the problem.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:28 AM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

I have created a lot of new jobs since the aftermath of 9/11.

Your question should be, how many fewer post 9/11 jobs would have been created had my pro-growth policies not been in place? Gore or Kerry would not have done nearly as well. You can't create jobs if you are over-taxed, and you can't create jobs if you let terrorists run wild over you.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:16 AM

Default Excellent Question, Adios n/m

^
Old 10-09-2004, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't create jobs if you are over-taxed, and you can't create jobs if you let terrorists run wild over you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your official policy is low taxation and high spending? Hmmm, now I wonder where that will lead?