Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 AM

Default bank roll eaters

I have a gut shot to the nuts , a back door flush draw to the nuts and Two over cards on a rainbow flop with a large pot. How do I fold this , cause I hit this kind of hand and flop with this kind of action all the time and it almost never comes in, killing my bank roll. Its always against LAGs and I never hit these XXXX draws even when open ended.
There must be some secret to knowing how to fold these XXXXXXX hands , especially against LAG's.

Both hands ,Loose aggressive opponents , wont fold to anything , raise with a broomstick and a carrot if you let them.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (9.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.75 BB, between UTG+1 and Hero.</font>

hand 2

How about this one , what did I do wrong , how do I avoid hands like these, coming in bunches, from crushing hours worth of work.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

River: (12 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Final Pot: 12 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 12 BB, between BB, Hero and MP2.</font>
Old 10-08-2004, 12:48 AM

Default Re: bank roll eaters

I feel your pain, if it's any consolation, I have honestly lost the last ten hands I was delt pocket queens. I cringe when I get delt them now, but I make sure to continue to play them strongly. You appear to have played both of those hands fine, so my advice would be to stick with it, and don't let it send you on tilt or make you play weakly.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:49 AM

looking at the 2nd hand, flop and preflop are good. I do not like the turn bet as i put MP2 on a flush draw since he was just calling a lot on the flop- I would check and call there. I like the river check since there is just so much out there to scare you now, my big concerns being the flush and possibly the BB having KT
Old 10-08-2004, 01:30 AM

sorry , little help here please?
Old 10-08-2004, 02:09 AM

First hand:

Flop: You capped pre flop, and this guy comes out betting on the flop. To me that smells of a set or an open end str8 draw. When he comes out betting, I like your raise. When he reraises, you have to call.

Turn is fine.

River: I know why you called, but unless this guy is a complete moron, you're beat.

Second hand:
Pre flop is pretty much automatic.

On the flop, I think I would probably have capped it, but then I'm probably taking aggression a bit too far.

I wouldn't bet the turn, because at this level most people will call with any ace and there's the flush possibility.

The river check is fine. The hands you beat won't call another bet, and you'd hate to be raised.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:13 AM

I think trying to "avoid" hands like these is looking at it the wrong way. Don't quote me on these exact numbers, but to give you a general idea.....in your limit poker lifetime AA will win approximately 70% of the time, KK 65%, QQ 55% and JJ 50%, and when they miss you're going to drop some BBs.

I don't think either of your hands was grossly misplayed. The bigger issue is just realizing that your premium hands are going to miss frequently. Knowing that, it's easier to slow up when you think you're beat (which you did).
Old 10-08-2004, 02:34 AM

Neither hand has any big mistake. Hand 1 is fine. I think the river call is ok, folding would also be ok. Hand 2 is also ok. Don't panic, you seem to be playing fine. It happens.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:46 AM

First hand: I would not have raised after the flop. The gut shot is pretty poor consolation for the missed opportunity to flop TPTK or four to a nuts flush.

The AKs didn't eat your bankroll. The problem was you needed to see more cards to improve the hand and you went and made those cards more expensive.

Not only that, you gave him the chance to reraise and that built the pot enough so that you were able to almost justify the call on the River with your unimproved hand.

By the way, since you called the River, did he have the straight and try to trap you into betting with that check on the turn so he could checkraise if an A or K had hit on the river?
Old 10-08-2004, 03:50 AM

Hero's bet on the flop was an attempt at a free card I'm assuming.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:55 AM

i don't think the raise is bad on the flop. free (half price) cards are tasty.