Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 10:18 PM

Default How bad a downswing before...

you curl up under your desk into the fetal position and start crying like a little girl?

I ask because I've tied my worst one yet, down 80BB over two days. This after a supergreat weekend where I went up about 350BB at 2/4.

I don't want to quit until I win some of this back, but at the rate I'm going, I don't see an end to it.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: How bad a downswing before...

Just grind through it....I had a 750bb two week run followed by a -150bb downswing and now im climbing back up. Just keep your composure and you will begin winning again.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:28 PM

I've tied my worst one yet, down 80BB over two days.

You'd better mentally prepare yourself for a lot of, um, fetal..position...ing. 200 and 300 BB downswings happen, even to very solid players. I've had three over 200, one over 300.

GoT
Old 10-06-2004, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't want to quit until I win some of this back

[/ QUOTE ]

um... that sounds like trouble. You should let it go, take a break, and come back later with a fresh mind. (You're likely with at least a little "tilt" right now).

A few weeks ago I had lost nearly 150 BB in a day. And I seem to remember a 300 BB downswing I had a couple months ago. In other words, be prepared for worse than you've described thus far.

[ QUOTE ]
This after a supergreat weekend

[/ QUOTE ]

... keep in mind that, generally, the weekends are EASY, EASY games compared to throughout the week - due to all the recreational fish that play on the weekends.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
keep in mind that, generally, the weekends are EASY, EASY games compared to throughout the week - due to all the recreational fish that play on the weekends.

[/ QUOTE ]

The weekend is normally when i have my worst swings =/
Old 10-06-2004, 10:59 PM

I know how disheartening this can be. Trust me -- it evens out if you keep playing solid poker. Take a few days off, see a movie or something, go to a titty bar... get out. Forget about poker for little while, until it does not make you upset anymore.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:25 PM

Just wondering a little about swings. The original poster had a upswing of 350bb in a week, and another wrote he had a 750bb upswing. Is this without a losing session inbetween?

Never had a great upswing, but not really a big downswing neither. Just grindin like hell and only average about 0.5BB/h per table (2 tables) at 3-6$ right now. Of course Iv´e only played about 250 hours at this level. But is this normal? Cuz I really think my play is way better than most at this level.

Comments?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-06-2004, 11:44 PM

80 BB is really completely normal. You can't let that kind of thing get to you. In one fully capped hand you can go through a dozen big bets; so you're really talking about the equivalent of losing well under 10 frantic hands. In two whole days. That's not a big deal.

It's probably good for you to get used to feeling such misery at such a low level of loss, actually. There will be days when it gets worse than this. Whole weeks.

But you'll come back from it. The cards have no memory -- they're just as happy dealing you wins as losses.

Take some time off and don't beat yourself up about it too much. Heck, after coming off such a big win like you just had, you gotta expect things are going to even out a bit, right?
Old 10-07-2004, 01:26 AM

It will end. It will get better.

You can't get it back if you play poorly. You can't get it back if you blow your whole bankroll playing a limit it won't support.

Don't be in too big a hurry to get it back. Don't be afraid to drop down a limit or two and grind away until you get your confidence back.

Better luck to you.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2004, 01:34 AM

I am just rebounding off of a 125BB downswing, if you feel more comfortable dropping in limit or changing on a site to make a little bit of the loss up i'd suggest doing it--whatever gets you back to a comfort level to play your best and what feels right to maximize profit